Health dept. to offer free flu vaccination clinics
The Charles County Department of Health has released its schedule of free flu immunizations clinics for 2016. The clinics are open to county residents 6 months old and older.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that everyone receive an influenza vaccination every year. This year the CDC recommends the nasal spray flu vaccine, Flu Mist, not be used during the 20162017 flu season. Since the Flu Mist will not be available this year, public elementary school clinics have been cancelled, however residents are encouraged to speak with their primary health care provider about getting a flu vaccination, or come to one of the free Flu vaccination clinics listed below:
• Charles County Department of Health (4545 Crain Highway, White Plains): Friday, Oct. 28, 2-6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 15, 3-7 p.m. •
School J.P. (12140Ryon ElementaryVivian Adams Drive, Waldorf):
Saturday, Oct. 15, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. • Westlake High School (3300 Middletown Rd, Waldorf):
Tuesday, Oct. 18, 3-7 p.m.
• Western County Family Medical Center (4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy):
Tuesday, Oct. 25, 1-5 p.m.
• Piccowaxen Middle School (12834 Rock Point Road, Newburg):
Tuesday, Nov. 1, 3-7 p.m.
• Smallwood Middle School (4990 Indian Head Highway, Indian Head):
Thursday, Nov. 10, 4-7 p.m.
• Thomas Stone High School (3785 Leonardtown Road, Waldorf):
Tuesday, Nov. 15, 3-7 p.m.
• La Plata High School (6035 Radio Station Road, La Plata):
Thursday, Oct. 20, 3-7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 17, 3-7 p.m.
Influenza is a serious disease that causes millions of illnesses, hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations, and thousands of deaths each year. The strain of influenza virus circulating varies from year to year.
For information about flu preparedness, go to www.cdc.gov/flu/ protect/preventing. htm. For additional information regarding the flu information or flu vaccinations, go to www.CharlesCountyHealth.org or call 301-609-6900. Citizens with special needs may contact the