North Point elim­i­nated in 4A East semi­fi­nal

Ea­gles un­able to stop An­napo­lis’ Gough in sea­son-end­ing loss

Maryland Independent - - Sports - By TED BLACK tblack@somd­ Twit­ter: tblack­somds1

AN­NAPO­LIS — Through most of Fri­day’s Class 4A East Re­gion semi­fi­nal foot­ball game, North Point and host An- napo­lis were hooked in a se­ri­ous bat­tle, one that saw the hosts take a 24-21 lead into the fourth quar­ter.

But North Point (9-2 over­all) proved un­able to reach the re­gion fi­nal, how­ever, as it was un­able to fin­ish off any drives in the fourth quar­ter and also could not find an an- swer for An­napo­lis se­nior Cameron Hough, who scored four touch­downs, in­clud­ing one on de­fense, fall­ing 45-21.

Hough made the big- gest play of the night while oc­cu­py­ing a line­backer’s spot for the Pan­thers. With the teams set to go into the locker room at half­time tied at 14, North Point was awarded an un­timed down a rough­ing the passer penalty. It proved to be a play the Ea­gles per­haps wish they had never run.

North Point quar­ter- back Jemichael Jones looked to get out­side the pocket and throw the ball down­field, but he was sacked by Hough and stripped of the foot­ball. Hough re­cov­ered the loose ball and raced 30 yards for a touch­down that gave the Pan­thers a 21-14 half­time ad­van­tage.

“It was a big play, but our guys had to re­al­ize the game wasn’t over at that point,” North Point head coach Tom Pe­tre said. “We played well at times in the third quar­ter, but they made the plays in the fourth quar­ter. It’s def­i­nitely dis­ap­point­ing. We had a re­ally good group of guys and we thought we had a good game plan tonight.”

North Point, the third seed in the re­gion, hardly wilted in the early stages of the sec­ond half.

An­napo­lis, the sec­ond seed, went 50 yards in nine plays on its first pos­ses­sion of the third quar­ter, but the Pan­thers set­tled for a 30-yard field goal from Carl Tucker to take a 24-14 lead. On its last pos­ses­sion of the quar­ter, North Point an- swered when Jones con- nected with Ma­lik Law- rence on a 17-yard strike to trim the Pan­thers defi- cit to 24-21 wth less than a minute re­main­ing in the quar­ter.

That would prove to be the last high­light for the Ea­gles on the night and the sea­son.

An­napo­lis coun­tered by march­ing 80 yards in 11 plays and Gough plowed for­ward from two yards out to ex­tend the Pan­thers’ lead back to 3121. His next touch­down would em­pha­size the dif- fer­ence be­tween the two squads on this night.

North Point crossed mid­field on its next pos­ses­sion thanks largely to a 37-yard run from Jones, but Jones was in­ter­cepted in the red zone three plays later.

An­napo­lis looked for some breath­ing room start­ing from its own 2-yard line and got plenty of it im­me­di­ately when Hough found a huge hole up the mid­dle and raced 98 yards for a touch­down that ex­tended the Pan­thers’ lead to 38-21 mid­way through the fourth quar­ter.

“We al­ways kick [Hough] about his speed, but he never seems to get caught from be­hind,” said An­napo­lis head coach Nick Good-Mal­loy, whose team will now host fourth-seeded Broad­neck in the 4A East Re­gion fi­nal after the Bru­ins up­ended pre­vi­ously un­beaten and top-seeded Old Mill, 20-17, in over­time on Fri­day. “The of­fen­sive co­or­di­na­tor changed the play and it worked out.”

North Point again crossed mid­field be­fore turn­ing the ball over on downs on its next pos­ses­sion, then Gough put the fin­ish­ing touches on the con­test when he raced 25 yards for an­other score.

North Point ap­peared to score on the game’s fi­nal play on a 50-yard pass from Jones to Malachi Mcmil­lan, but that touch­down was nul­li­fied by an of­fen­sive hold­ing penalty against the Ea­gles.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.