Vic­tim’s mother tes­ti­fies in mur­der trial

Nan­je­moy man fac­ing charges for 2011 killing

Maryland Independent - - Front Page - By AN­DREW RICHARDSON arichard­son@somd­

As the trial en­tered day three, the state was con­tin­u­ing to build its case against Ray­mond Daniel Posey III, who is the first of two men ac­cused of mur­der­ing a Nan­je­moy woman in 2011.

Prose­cu­tors say Posey, 24, and Dar­rayl John Wil­son, 25, both of Nan­je­moy, killed Crys­tal Key­one An­der- son, 29, and dumped her body down a ravine near Purse State Park in what they be­lieve was a drug-re­lated rob­bery.

Aside from her mother who said An­der­son stopped by her Lan­dover home briefly that night, wit­nesses said they last saw An­der­son leav­ing a Nan­je­moy house party with Posey and Wil­son on July 26, 2011. The state be­lieves the de­fen­dants had driven An­der­son from the party to Prince Ge­orge’s County, where she picked up

PCP from her sup­plier, a drug she reg­u­larly sold and used.

When the three of them re­turned to the area later that night, Posey and Wil­son al- leg­edly shot her to death and threw her body over a guardrail, down a steep hill, prose­cu­tors said. The state said An­der- son’s death squashed a $2,000 drug debt Posey’s brother had owed to her.

An­der­son re­mained miss­ing for sev­eral months un­til a hiker stum­bled upon a boot with her leg bone still in­side on Jan. 2, 2012, ac­cord­ing to court pro­ceed­ings. In the fol­low- ing days, po­lice used spe­cial­ized K-9s to comb the area and re­cov­ered skele­tal re­mains scat- tered through­out the marshy area.

Posey was not ar­rested un­til March 2015 af­ter ac­quain­tances told po­lice he made ad­mis­sions of guilt.

Ap­pear­ing be­fore Judge James West, Posey’s de­fense team, headed by Kevin Col- lins and Chase John­son, is con­test­ing the al­le­ga­tions brought by as­sis­tant state’s at­tor­neys Fran­cis Grana­dos and Jonathan Beattie.

In open­ing state­ments, the de­fense ar­gued that the state be­came in­tent on build­ing a case against Posey, rather than con­duct­ing an ob­jec­tive in­ves­ti­ga­tion, and, be­cause of her high-risk life­style as a PCP dealer, that there were sever- al other sus­pects who would have had a mo­tive to kill An­der­son. The de­fense also noted a lack of phys­i­cal ev­i­dence, and sug­gested the pos­si­bil- ity of a drug over­dose, as her cause of death could not be de­ter­mined through au­topsy.

The state be­gan the trial by call­ing wit­nesses who were at the party on July, 26, 2011.

One woman there that night tes­ti­fied that she lent Wil­son her car at An­der­son’s re­quest so she could get more money af­ter she lost a dice game, court pro­ceed­ings re­vealed. The woman told Wil­son to have her car back within two hours, and got up­set with Wil­son for tak­ing so long to re­turn.

Wil­son re­turned the car with Posey around 3 or 4 a.m., though An­der­son was no longer with them, an­other woman tes­ti­fied. How­ever, this did not seem un­usual to her, and she did not no­tice any­thing out of the or­di­nary.

An­der­son’s mother took the stand and told the court that her daugh­ter had stopped by her Lan­dover home briefly that night. The mother said An­der­son told her “I’m fi­nally go­ing to turn my life around,” and that she planned to en­ter a res­i­den­tial sub­stance abuse treat­ment fa­cil­ity when a bed opened up. Her daugh­ter told her she had peo­ple wait­ing out­side for her, so she left af­ter about 20 min­utes, the mother tes­ti­fied.

The mother and An­der­son’s girl­friend be­came in­creas­ingly wor- ried over the next cou­ple days as they were not able to get in con­tact with An­der­son.

In Fe­bru­ary, about a month af­ter the hu­man re­mains were re­cov­ered near Purse State Park, a med­i­cal ex­am­iner pos­i­tively iden­ti­fied that An­der­son the man had found An­der­son’s de­com­posed body.

As­sis­tant med­i­cal ex­am­iner John Locke tes­ti­fied that he could not de­ter­mine An­der­son’s cause of death. “There was a sig­nif­i­cant por­tion of her skele­ton miss­ing,” he said, not­ing that her skull and sec­tions of her up­per and lower body were never found. “… We saw no ev­i­dence of in­jury to any of [the] por­tions” that were re­cov­ered.

Ques­tioned by Grana­dos, Locke said he could not rule out that An­der­son had died from mul­ti­ple gun­shots to the chest and stom­ach.

The state is con­tin­u­ing to call wit­nesses, as of press time Thurs­day morn­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.