Wit­nesses in mur­der trial claim de­fen­dant made ad­mis­sions

Case con­tin­ues in death of woman in 2011

Maryland Independent - - Front Page - By AN­DREW RICHARD­SON arichard­son@somd­news.com

Though the case lacks phys­i­cal ev­i­dence, wit- ness tes­ti­mony against Ray­mond Daniel Posey III, ac­cused of mur­der­ing a woman in Nan­je­moy in 2011, al­leges that he made ad­mis­sions of guilt to mul­ti­ple peo­ple, in­clud­ing friends and an in­mate housed in the same sec­tion of jail.

Pros­e­cu­tors say Posey, 24, and Dar­rayl John Wil­son, 25, both of Nan­je­moy, killed Crys­tal Key­one An­der­son, 29, and dumped her body

down a ravine near Purse State Park in what they be­lieve was a drug-re­lat- ed rob­bery. Wil­son’s trial is sched­uled for late Fe­bru­ary.

Aside from her mother, who said An­der­son stopped by her Lan­dover home briefly that night, wit­nesses said they last saw An­der­son leav­ing a Nan­je­moy house party with Posey and Wil­son on July 26, 2011. The state be­lieves the de­fen­dants had driven An­der­son from the party to Prince Ge­orge’s County, where she picked up PCP from her sup­plier, a drug she reg­u­larly sold and used.

When the three re­turned to the area later that night, Posey and Wil­son al­legedly shot her to death and threw her body over a guardrail and down a steep hill, pros­e­cu­tors said. The state said An­der­son’s death squashed a $2,000 drug debt Posey’s brother had owed to her.

An­der­son re­mained miss­ing un­til Jan. 2, 2012, when an un­sus­pect­ing hiker stum­bled upon a boot with her leg bone pro­trud­ing — a scene he said is for­ever im­print- ed in his mind, court pro­ceed­ings showed. Af­ter days of comb­ing the area with spe­cial­ized K-9s, po­lice re­cov­ered more skele­tal re­mains, though large seg­ments of her body re­mained miss­ing. Her iden­tity was con­firmed about a month later by a foren­sic an­thro­pol­o­gist. How­ever, of the skele­tal re­mains re­cov­ered, none ap­peared to have sus­tained any in­jury, and the cause of death was ruled as un­de­ter­mined.

Posey was ar­rested by po­lice at his fam­ily’s Nan­je­moy home in March 2015, in­dicted by a grand jury, ac­cord­ing to court records. Wil­son was sub­se­quently in­dicted and ar­rested in July 2015.

Ap­pear­ing be­fore Judge James West, Posey’s de­fense team, headed by Kevin Collins and Chase John­son, is con­test­ing the al­le­ga­tions brought by as­sis­tant state’s at­tor- neys Fran­cis Grana­dos and Jonathan Beat­tie. The de­fense ar­gues that the state be­came in­tent on build­ing a case against Posey, rather than con­duct­ing an ob­jec­tive in­ves­ti­ga­tion and, be­cause of her high-risk life­style as a PCP dealer, there were sev­eral other sus­pects who would have had a mo­tive to kill An­der­son. The de­fense also noted the pos­si­bil­ity of a drug over­dose, as her cause of death could not be de­ter­mined au­topsy.

Through the first six days of the trial, the state had called nu­mer­ous wit- nesses whose tes­ti­mony seemed to cor­rob­o­rate the al­le­ga­tions against Posey.

Called by the state, an in­mate cur­rently in­car- cer­ated at Jes­sup Cor- rec­tional In­sti­tu­tion for armed rob­bery told the court that Posey, who also goes by the moniker “Bones,” had con­fided in him while housed in the same sec­tion of the Charles County De­ten­tion Cen­ter in late 2012, early 2013. Posey had been ar­rested for an un­re­lated armed rob­bery, and later pled guilty to lesser charges and re­ceived a one-year ac­tive sen­tence.

While in cus­tody, how- ever, de­tec­tives were press­ing him for in­for- ma­tion about An­der­son’s death.

The in­mate, who said he could be plac­ing his safety at risk by tes­ti­fy­ing, said Posey was dis­traught af­ter be­ing ha­rassed by de­tec- tives and opened up to him one day. Posey, he said, “felt bad about it, couldn’t take it” and had tried to kill him­self. Other wit­nesses in the trial tes­ti­fied that Posey had tried to hang him­self around the same time that po­lice an­nounced that hu­man re­mains had been re­cov­ered.

“He just opened up to me about how his brother” owed An­der­son $2,000 af­ter fronting him PCP to sell, the in­mate tes­ti­fied. “They had just planned on rob­bing her, and the rob­bery went bad and they killed her.”

The in­mate said Posey didn’t say what went wrong dur­ing the rob­bery, but told him they dumped her body into the woods.

Asked by Grana­dos why he was will­ing to tes­tify in this case de­spite the risk, the in­mate said he felt it was right thing to do. He ex­plained that he had no deal with the state and no ex­pec­ta­tion of his 20-year ac­tive sen­tence be­ing re­duced.

The de­fense, how­ever, was not con­vinced his mo­tives were so pure. They pointed to let­ters the in­mate had writ- ten claim­ing he could pro­vide in­for­ma­tion on crim­i­nal ac­tiv­ity in gen­eral in the Wash­ing­ton, D.C., metropoli­tan area. It wasn’t un­til one of his nu­mer­ous let­ters men­tioned in­for­ma­tion on “Posley” that de­tec­tives paid him a pro­fes­sional visit.

The de­fense also not- ed that he would have a sen­tence re­con­sid­er­a­tion hear­ing, and that de­spite his claims, his tes­ti­mony in this case was to his ben­e­fit.

An­other man, Posey’s cousin, took the stand and claimed he had no rec­ol­lec­tion of what he had tes­ti­fied in front of a grand jury, and was asked by pros­e­cu­tors to then read his lines from a tran­script. How­ever, the man said he could not read, so a law clerk as­sumed his role in­stead.

Ac­cord­ing to his grand jury tes­ti­mony, Posey had showed up one night at his trailer home in Nan­je­moy and was very emo­tional, and told him, “I did some­thing, cuz. I killed some­body.”

“He said his brother owed some­body some money and he had to take care of that prob­lem,” the man told the grand jury. He also pre­vi­ously tes­ti­fied that Posey had a black hand­gun tucked into his waist­band, the same gun Posey later tried to sell him, along with an­other hand­gun.

On an­other occa- sion, Posey and Wil­son showed up to his resi- dence and tried to sell him clothes and shoes, and had tried to give him a pit bull.

Court pro­ceed­ings pre­vi­ously re­vealed that An- der­son had moved into Wil­son’s home shortly be­fore her dis­ap­pear­ance, and brought with her sev- eral trash bags of be­long- ings and her pit bull.

Posey’s friend also told the grand jury that he had seen Posey shortly af­ter he tried to hang him­self in a neigh­bor’s yard — an ac­count given by sev­eral dif­fer­ent wit­nesses, in­clud­ing a woman who ran out­side to stop him when she saw a noose tied around his neck from her kitchen win­dow.

Af­ter the law clerk had read his grand jury tes­ti­mony, the man re­peated that he had no mem­ory of any of that.

In re­sponse, Grana­dos asked, “Does your lack of mem­ory have any­thing to do with Posey telling you to hide when the trial be­gins?” re­fer­ring to a recorded jail­house call.

The man be­came in­creas­ingly con­tentious as ques­tion­ing con­tin­ued, and even­tu­ally claimed that he had been fed a story by de­tec­tives and pros­e­cu­tors, and said “I was coached be­fore I even went in the court­room” be­fore the grand jury.

Court pro­ceed­ings re­vealed that the cousin, who clearly did not wish to tes­tify, had been se­cretly recorded on sev­eral oc­ca­sions by an ac­quain­tance co­op­er­at­ing with po­lice, which is how in­ves­ti­ga­tors knew the cousin had in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing the case.

Later in the trial, the man co­op­er­at­ing with po­lice tes­ti­fied that Posey had made a state­ment to him about hav­ing killed two peo­ple just min­utes af­ter try­ing to hang him­self.

The trial is on­go­ing as pros­e­cu­tors con­tinue to call wit­nesses. The state plans to rest on Wed­nes­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.