Disabled kids given bleach
School officials in the central California city of Fresno say they’re investigating how two specialeducation children were given a bleach solution through their feeding tubes.
The Fresno Bee newspaper reported Tuesday the two children were hospitalized in stable condition after last week’s incident. A school district email sent Sept. 19 says they were accidentally given a water solution with bleach.
Addicott Elementary School Principal Katrina Pleshe declined to give more information. Health experts told the newspaper that nothing stronger than dishwashing soap should ever be used to flush feeding tubes.
The Fresno elementary serves students with severe disabilities and enrolls about 50 children.
Parent Gabriella Ramirez, whose child wasn’t involved, says she wants an explanation from the school about how the incident happened.