Teen is killed in an­other fa­tal shoot­ing in Seat­tle’s protest zone

Miami Herald - - Front Page - BY LISA BAU­MANN As­so­ci­ated Press

SEAT­TLE

A 16-year-old boy was killed and and a younger teenager was wounded early Mon­day in Seat­tle’s “oc­cu­pied” protest zone — the sec­ond deadly shoot­ing in the area.

The vi­o­lence that came just over a week after an­other shoot­ing in the zone left one per­son dead and an­other wounded was “dan­ger­ous and un­ac­cept­able“po­lice Chief Car­men Best said.

“Enough is enough,” Best told re­porters. “We need to be able to get back into the area.”

Demon­stra­tors have oc­cu­pied sev­eral blocks around the Seat­tle Po­lice Depart­ment’s East Precinct and a park for about two weeks after po­lice aban­doned the precinct fol­low­ing stand­offs and clashes with pro­test­ers call­ing for racial jus­tice and an end to po­lice bru­tal­ity.

Wit­nesses re­ported see­ing a white Jeep SUV near one of the makeshift bar­ri­ers around the protest zone about 3 a.m. Mon­day, just be­fore the shoot­ing, a po­lice state­ment said.

Call­ers to 911 said sev­eral peo­ple fired shots into the ve­hi­cle. Po­lice said that two peo­ple who were prob­a­bly the oc­cu­pants of the ve­hi­cle were transporte­d to a local hos­pi­tal.

The 16-year-old was pro­nounced dead at Har­borview Med­i­cal Cen­ter, po­lice said. The sec­ond vic­tim, a 14-yearold boy, was hos­pi­tal­ized with gun­shot in­juries. He was re­ported in crit­i­cal con­di­tion.

“De­tec­tives searched the Jeep for ev­i­dence, but it was clear the crime scene had been dis­turbed,” the po­lice state­ment said.

In the pre­vi­ous fa­tal shoot­ing in the zone, a 19-year-old man was killed on June 20 and a 33-year-old man was wounded.

Best said the shoot­ings are ob­scur­ing the mes­sage of racial jus­tice that pro­test­ers say they are pro­mot­ing.

“Two African Amer­i­can men are dead, at a place where they claim to be work­ing for Black Lives Mat­ter. But they’re gone, they’re dead now,” the po­lice chief said.

Mayor Jenny Durkan said last week that the city would start try­ing to dis­man­tle what has been named the “Capitol Hill Or­ga­nized Protest” area. City work­ers on Fri­day tried to re­move makeshift bar­ri­ers erected around the area but stopped their work after demon­stra­tors ob­jected.

Nearby busi­nesses and prop­erty own­ers filed a fed­eral law­suit against the city last Wed­nes­day, claim­ing of­fi­cials have been too tol­er­ant of those who cre­ated the zone and that of­fi­cials have de­prived prop­erty own­ers of their prop­erty rights by al­low­ing the zone to con­tinue ex­ist­ing.

The busi­ness own­ers said they were not try­ing to un­der­mine the pro­test­ers’ an­tipo­lice-bru­tal­ity and Black Lives Mat­ter mes­sages.

But the own­ers said they have suf­fered be­cause the cre­ation of the zone has lim­ited their ac­cess to their busi­nesses and that some own­ers try­ing clean graf­fiti from their store­fronts or at­tempt­ing to pho­to­graph pro­test­ers have been threat­ened.

Some demon­stra­tors in the oc­cu­pied zone say the demon­stra­tion isn’t the rea­son for the shoot­ings.

“The blood­shed you’re talk­ing about has noth­ing to do with the move­ment,” Ant­wan Bo­lar, 43, told The Seat­tle Times. “That’s peo­ple who would have been do­ing it in North Seat­tle or South Seat­tle any­ways — it’s just con­cen­trated here.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.