Wana Place Can­dle Fire Sparks Safety Aware­ness

MidWeek Islander (Central Oahu) - - News -

Honolulu Fire Depart­ment is urg­ing res­i­dents to take care when us­ing can­dles and never leave a lit one unat­tended.

A house fire ig­nited by a lit but unat­tended can­dle caused an es­ti­mated $65,000 to the struc­ture and $15,000 to the con­tents of a home on Wana Place in Haleiwa in mid-Jan­uary.

Ac­cord­ing to HFD, melt­ing can­dle wax can spill and ig­nite a small fire. In the Haleiwa case, in­ves­ti­ga­tors said, the flame burned down and ig­nited the can­dle holder. This in turn ra­di­ated to a nearby com­bustible sur­face and quickly spread through­out the bed­room. There was a smoke alarm, but “no bat­ter­ies present.”

Dur­ing a power out­age, HFD also rec­om­mends flash­lights and glow sticks over can­dles — and make sure your smoke alarm has func­tion­ing bat­ter­ies.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.