West Oahu Highlights
registered 1st Congressional District candidates at 2 p.m. May 21.
• BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. May 22 at Kapolei Shopping Center, 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. May 23 at Ewa Town Center Foodland, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 23 at Calvary Chapel Komo Mai and 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. May 24 at Youth Challenge Academy in Kalaeloa. Call 845-9966.
• PLANT DOCTOR Halawa Xeriscape Garden hosts the Plant Doctor from 10 a.m. to noon May 22, when master gardeners share expertise and tips on cultivating plants and conserving water outdoors. Bring samples of plants in separate bags. Call 7485319.
• WASTE PROCESS The city’s Recycling and Waste Processors tour is set for 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 22, starting and ending at Kapolei Hale. The free, limited-seat tour includes the landfill and various industrial process- ing plants in West Oahu and Kalaeloa. Call 768-3200.
• NEWSPAPER TALK Jodie Mattos of UH Manoa’s Hamilton Library presents “ Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers” at 10:30 a.m. May 22 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
• AIEA HIKE Friends of Honolulu Botanical Gardens plan a hike to Aiea ridge from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 22. Fee is $10 for non-members, and space is limited. Call 537-1708.
• ON STAGE Ho‘okahi Sunday at Pearlridge Center Downtown features Harmony at 1 p.m. and Halau Hula O Minerva Pang at 2:30 p.m. May 23. Call 488-0981.
• SOCCER SIGNUPS Pearl City AYSO registers players from 12:30 to 3:30 p. m. May 23 at Waiau District Park. Fee is $55, and new players should bring copies of their birth certificates. (Players must be born between Aug. 1, 1991 and July 31, 2006.) Call 3302257.
• NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 6:30 p.m. May 25 at Waiau District Park; Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. May 26 at Kapolei High School cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. May 27 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
• STROKE TALK Kaiser Permanente sponsors a free Senior Summit lecture on “Stroke: Are You at Risk?” at 10 a.m. May 26 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2235.
• SHOWTIME Showtime Performers offers a week of performing arts for children May 31-June 5 at Pearl City Peninsula Community Center. Fee is $60 per child. Call 489-1998 by May 17.
• TAIKO Leeward Community College Theater hosts a performance showcasing Okinawan history by the Hawaii Taiko Kai and Ukwanshin Kabudan at 7 p.m. May 29. Tickets cost $25 in advance, $30 at the door. Call 497-4208.