West Oahu Highlights
21 at Kapolei Walmart with all proceeds going to its service projects. Lions also man the Salvation Army red kettle that day. Call 723-5440.
• EWA PARADE Ewa Beach Lions Club sponsors its annual Christmas Parade at 10 a.m. Dec. 21 with 1,200 marchers, 80 vehicles, 12 floats and two bands, starting and ending at Ilima Intermediate School. Call 685-3693.
• DANCE CONCERT Aiea Repertory Dance Company presents “Ballet and Modern Dance Celebration” at 4 p.m. Dec. 21 at Aiea High School HI Dance Studio. Tickets cost $8 and $5 and proceeds support the program. Call 483-7300, ext. 368.
• NUTCRACKER Hawaii Ballet Theatre presents its 33rd annual Nutcracker production at Leeward Community College Theatre at 4 p.m. Dec. 22, featuring solo performances by former Broadway dancer Christine Yasunaga and a host of local talent. A free “Sugarplum Tea with Santa” follows the matinee. Call 4568100 for tickets.
• SOCIAL SECURITY Financial consultant Nelson Secretario explains strategies for boosting benefits and increasing retirement income from Social Security at 1 p.m. Dec. 28 at Aiea Library. (The date was changed from Dec. 7.) Call 4837333.
• PC BALLROOMThe Pearl City chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers new students at 7 p.m. Jan. 7 and 14 for classes in cha cha and tango. Classes meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. each Tuesday starting Jan. 7 at Manana Elementary School for a nominal fee. Call 456-2129.
• HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for lowincome families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni at 696-7882.
• SPRING FOOTBALL Hawaii Islanders seeks players 8 to 14 years old for 2014 Spring Tackle Football for boys, as well as coaches and team parents, for the Pearl City, Aiea and Moanalua areas. Call or text 352-5294.
• YOUTH RUGBY USO Athletics seeks players and coaches for the upcoming youth rugby season (U19 to U10), with practice and games beginning in January in West Oahu. Call Ray at 275-6134.
• WELLNESS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura conducts Ki Wellness classes at 6 p. m. Mondays and Fridays, and Aikido for Seniors at 7:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission. Free trials are allowed. The mission is located at 99-045 Kauhale St. Call 671-1422.
• FITNESS Shake that Fitness 808 offers dance fitness classes at 6:15 p.m. each Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at United Visayan Hall, 94-833 Awanei St. in Waipahu. Call Susan at 671-3943.
• SOCCER SIGNUPS Leeward Region 269 AYSO is registering boys and girls age 4 to 18 (from Makakilo to Makaha) for spring soccer, with the season starting in January. Fee is $70. Visit leewardayso269.com.
• HULA AIEA Halau Hula O Kana Kapeka is accepting new students for hula and Tahitian dance at St. Elizabeth Church Hall in Aiea. Call 255-4001.
• YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
• HIDEAWAY BAND 11th Hour performs original and cover rock music from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. every third Saturday at the Hideaway in Kalaeloa. Free admission for ages 21 and older with military ID. Call 347-1323.
• TACKLE BALL USO Athletic Club is signing up players in grades 5-8 for tackle football (no weight limit) and grades 1-4 for flag football (Jr. Prep league). Coaches also are needed. Call Leilani at 275-6134.
• VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth has free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
• STRIDERS Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Kapolei group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
• ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in the West Oahu area. All men and women ages 1850 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
• MASTERS SWIMVeterans Memorial Aquatic Center has a U.S. masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
• SLACK KEY Yameen Fong conducts beginner slack-key guitar classes from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at Ewa Beach Community Park on North Road. The course consists of four sessions, and students should bring their own guitars. Call 685-6035 evenings or visit fongsmusic.homestead.com.
• EWA CERT The Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Committee working to organize Community Emergency Preparedness Teams (CERT) to train residents in how to respond to a disaster. To request training or offer help, call chairman Donald Harlor at 682-0111.
• RUGBY Players and coaches are invited to join USO Athletics-Hawaii Youth Rugby in several age-group teams for boys, and under 16 for girls. Call Raymond Maae at 692-3589 or visit hawaiiyouthrugby.com.
• BRIDGE PLAYERS Bridge players are invited to join in games with residents in the Makaha area. Call Flo at 695-8106.
• KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District South Community Children's Council meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of the month in Moanalua High School Room G104; and the Leeward council meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday at the State of Hawaii building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.
• COMIC JAMS Pearlridge Center hosts Comic Jam Hawaii from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays Uptown, second level by Hot Unique Images, welcoming professional and amateur artists. Call 488-0981.
• MCC MARKET The Momilani Farmers Market at Momilani Community Center offers about 20 vendors plus a new family activity from 3 to 7 p.m. Fridays at 715 Hoomoana St. Call Kasey at 341-0568.
• MAKEKE KAPOLEI Kapolei High School has a farmers’ and green market, Makeke Kapolei, from 3 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays in the parking lot with more than 30 vendors of locally grown produce, prepared foods, plants, arts and crafts, demonstrations and cultural presentations. Call 6973599.