Wahiawa-based Troupe Mounts Play At Paliku
Diamond in the Rough Productions will present Alice in Wonderland March 27-29 at Paliku Theatre, featuring nearly 50 youths islandwide, including Skylar Santana of Kaneohe.
It was easy to choose Santana at the tryouts, according to director Kristi Kashimoto-Rowbottom. “Skylar is only 7 years old, yet was outstanding in her audition, so was NOT cast in the ‘baby’ ensemble,” she said. “She is playing a variety of roles, including a featured dancer, and is keeping up with the teens and adults around her!”
Kashimoto-Rowbottom, who also operates Applause! Performance Academy in Wahiawa, promises that the play will deliver “a pseudo-steampunk version of Wonderland, and fun for the whole family.” The curtain goes up at 7:30 p.m. March 27, 2 and 7:30 p.m. March 28 and 2 p.m. March 29.
The classic musical also offers a special performance for school groups March 27, if there is enough interest. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets cost $19 and $10 and can be ordered at showtix4u.com or by calling 1-866-967-8167. A VIP post-show meet-and-greet package also is available. Castle Medical Center hosts a weight-loss surgery seminar at 6:30 p.m. March 18 in the Wellness Auditorium. Register at 263-5400.
• MATH FUN Kahuku Library hosts “Bedtime Math” with games and crafts from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 18. Call 2938935.
• CAREGIVERS Ohana Caretakers support group meets at 9 a.m. March 18 at Queen Liliu‘ okalani Children’s Center on Haiku Road. Call 234-2207.
• PRENATAL Waimanalo Health Center has free ongoing classes in prenatal education at 2:30 p.m. March 19 and (and every first and third Thursday). Call 259-7948 to register.
• FARM TRAINING GoFarm Hawaii has a training session from 5:30 to 8 p.m. March 19 in Hale Akoakoa 105 at Windward CC for those interested in sustainable and organic farming. RSVP to wind- email@example.com.
• TAX HELP Trained AARP volunteers help lowand moderate-income residents with their tax filings from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 19, first come, first served, at Kahuku Library. Call 293-8935.
• NEIGHBORSKaneohe Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. March 19 at Ben Parker Elementary cafeteria. On the agenda are Hawaiian Memorial Park expansion, a Kawa Street transit center, Kahekili traffic, Pahia Road safety measures and more. Visit the board’s blog at kaneoheneighborhoodboard.blogspot.com.
• UKULELE MUSIC Ka‘imi Hanano‘eau plays at 7 p.m. March 19 (open mic night) at Surfer, the Bar at Turtle Bay Resort. Call 293-6000.
• HAIKU MUSIC Harry Koizumi entertains from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. March 20 at Haleiwa Joe’s on Haiku Road. Call 247-6671.
Maria Denzer plays Alice in Diamond In The Rough’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’ musical, set for March 27-29 on the Paliku Theatre stage. Photo from DITR.