Planes Worth Modeling: Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
“Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby”
“Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby” is a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress that was preserved and is on public display. A B-17G35-BO (SN 42-32076), it was named by her crew for a song of a similar name sung by the Andrews Sisters, a favorite of crew chief T/Sgt. Hank Cordes. Photographs of the bomber indicate that a third “Shoo” was added to the name at some point in May 1944 when the original aircraft commander completed his tour of duty and was replaced by another pilot.
Last flown in July 1961, the aircraft was donated to the U.S. Air Force (USAF) in
1972, when French officials presented it to Secretary of the Air Force Robert C. Seamans
Jr. for preservation. The journey from France required the assistance of the USAF in Europe to disassemble and crate the plane for truck shipment to Rhein-Main Air Base in Germany, where it was then airlifted to the United States by a C-5A Galaxy transport.
Restoration was undertaken between 1978 and 1988 at Dover Air Force Base (AFB), Delaware, by the 512th Airlift Wing. In 1981, Tony Starcer re-created his original nose art at Dover AFB for the rebuilt Fortress. The aircraft was then flown to Dayton, Ohio, on October 13, 1988; restored as “Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby,” and put on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB.