THE 2010 100 MOST POWERFUL BY THE NUMBERS
2. Kathleen Sebelius Secretary, HHS, Washington
3. Nancy Pelosi Speaker of the House (D-Calif.), U.S. House of Representatives, Washington
4. Max Baucus U.S. senator (D-Mont.); chairman, Senate Finance Committee, U.S. Senate, Washington
5. Sister Carol Keehan President and CEO, Catholic Health Association, Washington
6. Peter Orszag Former director, White House Office of Management and Budget, Washington
7. Carolyn Clancy Director, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Md.
8. Bill Gates Chairman, Microsoft Corp.; co-founder, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Seattle
9. Henry Waxman U.S. representative (D-Calif.); chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington
10. Paul Ginsburg President, Center for Studying Health System Change, Washington
11. Chuck Grassley U.S. senator (R-Iowa); ranking member, Senate Finance Committee, U.S. Senate, Washington
12. Harry Reid Senate majority leader, (D-Nev.), U.S. Senate, Washington
13. Donald Berwick CMS administrator; former president and CEO, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Cambridge, Mass.
14. David Blumenthal National coordinator for health information technology, HHS, Washington 15. Margaret Hamburg Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, Md.
16. Arnold Schwarzenegger Outgoing governor, state of California, Sacramento
17. Newt Gingrich Founder, Center for Health Transformation, Washington
18. Mary Kay Henry President, Service Employees International Union, Washington
19. Sister Mary Jean Ryan Chairwoman and CEO, SSM Health Care,
20. Nancy-Ann DeParle Director, White House Office of Health Reform, Washington
21. Karen Ignagni President and CEO, America’s Health Insurance Plans, Washington
22. Bruce Yarwood President and CEO, American Health Care Association, Washington
23. Joel Allison President and CEO, Baylor Health Care System, Dallas
24. Lloyd Dean President and CEO, Catholic Healthcare West, San Francisco
25. Trevor Fetter President and CEO, Tenet Healthcare Corp., Dallas
26. Richard Feinstein Director, Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission, Washington
27. Mary Wakefield Administrator, Health Resources and Services Administration, Rockville, Md.
28. Ronald Williams Chairman and CEO, Aetna, Hartford, Conn.
29. Beverly Malone CEO, National League for Nursing, New York
30. David White Chairman and CEO, Iasis Healthcare, Franklin, Tenn.
31. Regina Benjamin U.S. surgeon general, Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service, Rockville, Md.
32. Glenn Hackbarth Chairman, Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, Washington
33. Pamela Thompson CEO, American Organization of Nurse Executives, Washington
34. Drew Altman President Kaiser Family and Foundation, CEO, Menlo Park, Calif.
35. Glenn Steele Jr. President and CEO, Geisinger Health System, Danville, Pa.
36. Dan Wolterman President and CEO, Memorial Hermann Healthcare System, Houston
37. Rebecca Patton President, American Nurses Association, Silver Spring, Md.
38. Scott Armstrong President and CEO, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle 39. Gary Newsome President and CEO, Health Management Associates, Naples, Fla.
40. Wayne Smith Chairman, president and CEO, Community Health Systems, Franklin, Tenn.
41. William Carpenter President and CEO, LifePoint Hospitals, Brentwood, Tenn.
42. Chip Kahn
President and CEO, Federation of American Hospitals, Washington
43. Stuart Altman Sol C. Chaikin professor of national health policy, Brandeis University, Waltham, Mass.
44. Richard Umbdenstock President and CEO, American Hospital Association, Chicago
45. Eric Shinseki Secretary, Veterans Affairs Department, Washington
46. Kathy Warye CEO, Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Washington
47. David Bates Chief, general internal medicine; medical director of clinical and quality analysis, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
48. Barbara Crane President, National Federation of Nurses, Seattle
49. Richard Bracken Chairman and CEO, HCA, Nashville
50. Harvey Fineberg President, Institute of Medicine, Washington