Carolinas HealthCare System, Charlotte, N.C., has started work on adding a free-standing emergency department to an outpatient center in Huntersville, according to a news release. Carolinas Medical CenterNorthCross already features surgery, pain management, endoscopy and sleep lab services. The emergency department project is expected to cost $8.8 million something from scratch, according to a Carolinas spokesman. The free-standing emergency department is the fourth that Carolinas has opened or has in the works. In November 2009, the tax-exempt system opened CMC-Steele Creek in Charlotte, and it is near completion of CMC-Waxhaw (N.C.) The system also has broken ground on another free-standing emergency department in Kannapolis, N.C. That project also is expected to be completed in fall 2011. care. The agreement also calls for the creation of the Florida Trauma Research and Analysis Center, which will analyze trends in trauma care and patient populations, according to the release. USF Health has not yet named a director of the new trauma network. About 43% of Florida trauma cases stemmed from motor vehicle crashes in 2008, but a recent study by USF researchers concluded that fatality rates in such crashes are “closely associated” with distance to the nearest trauma center, according to the release. Only about 38% of trauma patients in Florida receive their care in a designated trauma center.
St. David’s HealthCare has completed its acquisition of 58-bed Heart Hospital of Austin for $83.8 million from MedCath Corp., Charlotte, N.C., according to a news release. St. David’s is a joint venture owned by investor-owned HCA, Nashville, and two tax-exempt partners, the St. David’s Foundation, Austin, and Georgetown (Texas) Health Foundation. The deal was first announced in February. At the end of 2009, St. David’s HealthCare acquired Austin Heart, a cardiology practice that owned a stake in the hospital. MedCath owned 70.9% of the hospital, with physician investors owning the remaining 29.1% stake. The sale leaves MedCath with six heart hospitals. In March, the company announced that it was reviewing its strategic alternatives. MedCath completed sales agreements for its stakes in heart hospitals in Phoenix and Sioux Falls, S.D., on Oct. 1, according to the company. Analysts expect MedCath to sell its remaining hospitals to liquidate the company.
CMC-Steele Creek in Charlotte, N.C., opened in November 2009.