Improved approach to prevention lowers infection rates, boosts patient and staff satisfaction, and significantly reduces cost.
In concert with key healthcare partners, Cone Health (Greensboro, NC) successfully integrated clinical and nonclinical best practices to achieve rapid improvements in the prevention of Hospital Acquired Infections (HAIs).
Reducing HAI-related Morbidity Rates and Costs Deadly superbugs like MRSA, Clostridium difficile and
Acinetobacter make HAIs the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S, and cost providers up to $45 billion annually. Survivors of HAIs have longer average stays (22 days). According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, each case costs $23,228 in clinical care alone. With proper intervention strategies, these costs and deaths are largely preventable.
Integration of Clinical & Non-Clinical Touchpoints Approximately 30% of HAIs originate from a contaminated clinical caregiver. The remaining 70% require strategies to address contamination in the direct “patient zone” plus common areas frequented by patients, visitors, clinicians and non-clinical staff.
In support of Cone Health’s more comprehensive infection prevention program, Sodexo provided a combination of staffing best practices, evidence-based cleaning protocols, and new technologies.
Improved Employee Engagement: Without engaged staff, investments in new technologies will underperform. A robust, behavioral-based hiring and training program was implemented with realtime behavior modification. Each Cone Health team member was CARES trained in Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Enthusiasm and Service.
Best-in-class processes: As a Certified Healthcare Environmental Services Professional, the on-site leader oversees the SHINE program, which includes post-cleaning audits using Blacklight Scanners and Enzyme tests to provide instant feedback and realtime improvement of staff performance.
Best-in-class technology: While several “no-touch” options exist (i.e. Hydrogen Peroxide Vapor, Mercurybased UV), Pulsed Xenon Ultraviolet has proven 99% effective for decontamination and more than 20 times as effective as traditional cleaning methods. Mobile PX-UV systems were integrated into “terminal room cleans” after patient discharge.