100 MOST INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE IN HEALTHCARE
1. Kathleen Sebelius Secretary HHS Washington
2. Dr. John Kitzhaber Governor of Oregon Salem
3. Barack Obama President of the United States Washington
4. Stephen Hemsley President and CEO UnitedHealth Group Minnetonka, Minn.
5. Marilyn Tavenner Administrator CMS Baltimore
6. Mark Bertolini Chairman, president and CEO Aetna Hartford, Conn.
7. Richard Bracken Chairman and CEO HCA Nashville
8. Joseph Swedish CEO WellPoint Indianapolis
9. George Halvorson Outgoing chairman Kaiser Permanente Oakland, Calif.
10. Sister Carol Keehan President and CEO Catholic Health Association Washington
11. Kent Thiry Co-chairman and CEO DaVita HealthCare Partners Denver
12. Glenn Hackbarth Chairman Medicare Payment Advisory Commission Washington
13. Judith Faulkner CEO Epic Systems Corp. Verona, Wis.
14. Jan Brewer Governor of Arizona Phoenix
15. Dr. John Noseworthy President and CEO Mayo Clinic Health System Rochester, Minn.
16. Dr. Delos “Toby” Cosgrove President and CEO Cleveland Clinic Health System
17. Wayne Smith Chairman, president and CEO Community Health Systems Franklin, Tenn.
18. Trevor Fetter President and CEO Tenet Healthcare Corp. Dallas
19. Joel Allison President and CEO Baylor Health Care System Dallas
20. David Cordani President and CEO Cigna Corp. Bloomfield, Conn.
21. Maureen Bisognano President and CEO Institute for Healthcare Improvement Cambridge, Mass.
22. Paul Diaz CEO Kindred Healthcare Louisville, Ky.
23. Patricia Hemingway Hall President and CEO Health Care Service Corp. Chicago
24. John Hammergren Chairman, president and CEO McKesson Corp. San Francisco
25. Michael Dowling President and CEO North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System Great Neck, N.Y.
26. Dr. Gary Gottlieb President and CEO Partners HealthCare System Boston
27. Dr. Farzad Mostashari Outgoing national coordinator for health information technology HHS Washington
28. Bruce Broussard President and CEO Humana Louisville, Ky.
29. Richard Umbdenstock President and CEO American Hospital Association Chicago
30. Kevin Lofton President and CEO Catholic Health Initiatives Englewood, Colo.
31. Dr. Gary Kaplan Chairman and CEO Virginia Mason Medical Center Seattle
32. Drew Altman President and CEO Kaiser Family Foundation Menlo Park, Calif.
33. Chip Kahn President and CEO Federation of American Hospitals Washington
34. Lloyd Dean President and CEO Dignity Health San Francisco
35. Rose Ann DeMoro Executive director National Nurses United Silver Spring, Md.
36. Max Baucus U.S. senator (D-Mont.) Chairman Senate Finance Committee Washington
37. Ron Pollack Founding executive director Families USA Washington
38. Dan Wolterman President and CEO Memorial Hermann Health System Houston
39. A. Barry Rand CEO AARP Washington
40. Bill Carpenter Chairman and CEO LifePoint Hospitals Brentwood, Tenn.
41. President Dr. Susan and CEO Turney MGMA-ACMPE Englewood, Colo.
42. Pat Fry President and CEO Sutter Health Sacramento, Calif.
43. Dr. Thomas Frieden Director Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Atlanta
44. Dr. Risa Lavizzo-Mourey President and CEO Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Princeton, N.J.
45. Dr. Margaret Hamburg Commissioner Food and Drug Administration Silver Spring, Md.
46. Alex Gorsky Chairman and CEO Johnson & Johnson New Brunswick, N.J.
47. Susan DeVore President and CEO Premier Charlotte, N.C.
48. John Castellani President and CEO Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America Washington
49. Dr. Charles Sorenson President and CEO Intermountain Healthcare Salt Lake City
50. Dr. Jeffrey Drazen Editor-in-chief of the New England Journal of Medicine Boston
51. Dr. Atul Gawande Professor Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health Boston
52. Cecile Richards President of Planned Parenthood Federation of America New York
53. Alan Miller Chairman and CEO Universal Health Services King of Prussia, Pa.
54. Dr. Ardis Hoven President of the American Medical Association Chicago
55. Margaret “Peggy” O’Kane President of the National Committee for Quality Assurance, Washington
56. Dr. Glenn Steele Jr. President and CEO Geisinger Health System Danville, Pa.
57. James Skogsbergh President and CEO Advocate Health Care Oak Brook, Ill.
58. Dr. Georges Benjamin Executive director American Public Health Association Washington
59. Jay Grinney President and CEO HealthSouth Corp. Birmingham, Ala.
60. Dr. Mark Chassin President Joint Commission Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
61. Anthony Tersigni President and CEO Ascension Health Alliance St. Louis
62. Alan Aviles President and CEO New York City Health and Hospitals Corp.
63. Doug Hawthorne CEO Texas Health Resources Arlington
64. Richard Feinstein Former director Bureau of Competition U.S. Federal Trade Commission Washington
65. John Bardis Chairman, president and CEO MedAssets Alpharetta, Ga.
66. Mary Brainerd President and CEO HealthPartners Bloomington, Minn.
67. Leah Binder President and CEO Leapfrog Group Washington
68. Daniel Levinson Inspector general HHS Washington
69. Jeffrey Romoff President and CEO UPMC Pittsburgh
70. Bobby Jindal Governor of Louisiana Baton Rouge
71. Suzanne Delbanco Executive director Catalyst for Payment Reform San Francisco
72. Dr. Christine Cassel President and CEO National Quality Forum Washington
73. Dr. Francis Collins Director National Institutes of Health Bethesda, Md.
74. Nancy Schlichting CEO Henry Ford Health System Detroit
75. Karen Ignagni President and CEO America’s Health Insurance Plans Washington
76. Bill Gates Co-chair Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Seattle
77. Chuck Grassley U.S. senator (R-Iowa) Washington
78. Dr. Jeffrey Cain President American Academy of Family Physicians Leawood, Kan.
79. Gail McGovern President and CEO American Red Cross Washington
80. Dr. Harvey Fineberg President Institute of Medicine Washington
81. Executive Dr. James vice president Madara and American CEO Medical Association Chicago
82. Scott Armstrong President and CEO Group Health Cooperative Seattle
83. Deborah Bowen President and CEO American College of Healthcare Executives Chicago
84. Scott Serota President and CEO Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Chicago
85. Dr. Darrell Kirch President and CEO Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington
86. Dr. Ralph de la Torre Chairman and CEO Steward Health Care System Boston
87. Dr. Benjamin Chu Group president of Southern California and Hawaii, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, Calif.; board chairman, American Hospital Association
88. Mary Kay Henry President of the Service Employees International Union, Washington
89. Kenneth Raske President and CEO Greater New York Hospital Association New York
90. Dr. Eric Topol Chief academic officer, Scripps Health; director, Scripps Translational Science Institute, San Diego
91. Eric Shinseki Secretary Veterans Affairs Department Washington
92. Donald Fisher President and CEO American Medical Group Association Alexandria, Va.
93. Dr. David Blumenthal President Commonwealth Fund New York
94. Dr. James Weinstein President and CEO Dartmouth-Hitchcock Lebanon, N.H.
95. Alan Morgan CEO National Rural Health Association Washington
96. Val Halamandaris President National Association for Home Care & Hospice Washington
97. Dr. Bruce Siegel President and CEO America’s Essential Hospitals Washington
98. Helen Darling President and CEO National Business Group on Health Washington
99. Dr. Brent James Executive director, Institute for Health Care Delivery Research; chief quality officer, Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City
100. James Hinton President and CEO Presbyterian Healthcare Services, Albuquerque