Area people of note
• Quinnipiac University raised $34,175 at its Relay for Life, a community fundraising walk for the American Cancer Society, Sept. 9 on the Quad on the Mount Carmel Campus. More than 90 teams and 900 participants attended the event, which included a hair-cutting ceremony with donations going to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, a Mr. Relay Pageant, speakers, a cookout and an outdoor movie. Student Elizabeth Monroe helped organize the event.
• Bryan Barry, co-president of the Hamden Commission on Disability Rights & Opportunities, presented a check for $500 to Mischa Campbell, local coordinator for Hamden Special Olympics. Hamden Olympian Mary Beth Delaney spoke at the Sept. 11 event. The commission and the Hamden Parks & Recreation Department’s hold fund-raising spring and fall dances for people with developmental disabilities.
• Alina Ayrapetova of Woodbridge graduated Aug. 15 from Western New England University with an MBA.
• Melody Altschuler of Bethany, graduated May 29 from Bates College.
• James Semmonella of Orange, graduated May 29 from Bates College.