Blaze damages Newark home
Battery charger sparked flames in Nottingham Green
Fire damaged a home in the Nottingham Green neighborhood Monday night, displacing a family of five.
The fire broke out at 6: 40 p. m. in the 1000 block of Baylor Drive, said John H. Farrell IV, a spokesman for Aetna Hose, Hook and Lad- der Co. The residents discovered the fire, called 911 and had escaped the house by the time firefighters arrived.
Farrell said the blaze started in the basement and spread to the first floor of the two- story house.
Approximately 35 firefighters and EMTs from Aetna, Christiana Fire Company, Mill Creek Fire Company and West Grove (Pa.) Fire Company worked for 25 minutes to bring the fire under control. New Castle County Paramedics and the University of Delaware Emergency Care Unit were also on scene.
One occupant was evaluated by paramedics, but no one was taken to the hospital. The residents – two adults and three children – are staying with family members, Farrell said.
Chief Deputy Fire Marshal Robert L. Fox said the fire was sparked by a battery charger for a remotecontrolled car. The charger malfunctioned and ignited nearby combustible materials in the basement.
Damage is estimated at $ 25,000, Fox said.
Firefighters work at the scene of a house fire in Nottingham Green.