Out of the Past
Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
May-August 1927: A new dump truck cost $630. Council refused to issue a permit to Leo Noyes for exhibition of his Metropolitan Shows in Newark.
A bond issue of $150,000 was authorized, coincidental with extending town limits, for expanding utility services and enlarging the sewer disposal plant. A contract at $30,395 was awarded to Fernow Construction Company to extend sewer service.
George Murray, of Cleveland Avenue, was ordered to lay pavement in front of his property or face fines. The street committee was looking into needed work on Kershaw Street. Council had an agreement with B&O Railroad to make repairs around the station and bids were sought. Frank Walker was authorized, and paid $50, to take a town census. The tax rate for 1927 was $1.10/$100.00 valuation.
Prior to awarding contract to W. G. Fritz Company for extension of water lines, a comparison of cast iron vs. centrifugal (sand-spun manufacturing process) pipe was held and the work would be done with sandspun pipe saving $2,019. Cost of a horse and cart for street work was $2/day.
One hundred twenty traffic signal lamps cost $40.80. Alfred Stiltz was paid $5.00 for conveying a prisoner to the County Work House. Harry Cleaves warned not to fill the storm-drainage ditch on his property. VanSant & Sons were notified to remove trash back of their garage as it was a fire hazard. An electric fan for the office was purchased. Houses in town were to be numbered.
See the original minutes at Pencader Heritage Museum, 2029 Sunset Lake Rd. (Rt. 72 south of Newark.) Regularly open first and third Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other times by appointment. Contact the website pencaderheritage.org or call 302-7375792 for an appointment. Family friendly, handicapped accessible and always free.