Newark Police to celebrate 150th anniversary with event Saturday
The Newark Police Department will celebrate its 150th anniversary by hosting a public open house on Saturday.
The free event runs from 1 to 4 p.m. at the police station, located at 220 S. Main St.
“The Newark Police Department receives tremendous public support, for which the men and women who serve are grateful,” Chief Paul Tiernan said in a statement. “We invite everyone to participate in our 150th anniversary celebration to commemorate Newark’s rich history in law enforcement and our ongoing efforts to be a positive presence in the community.”
The event will include tours of the police department, demonstrations of specialized police units and games for children.
It will also mark the culmination of NPD’s trading card program, which encouraged kids to collect trading cards featuring police officers. Any child who collected the complete set will be entered into a random drawing on Saturday. The top prize is a trip to Disney World.
NPD’s history dates back to June 15, 1867, when Newark, with a population of roughly 900 peo- ple, was getting a little out of hand. At the request of some residents, the town government came up with a few rules to maintain order, such as no boisterous singing or undue noise; no allowing horses, cattle and pigs to run freely through the streets; and residents must shovel their sidewalks and driveways 10 hours after snowfall or face a fine of $1.
The town commissioners appointed Jesse Russell as a bailiff to enforce the rules.
There was no official police station until 1890, when NPD moved into a building on Academy Street next to Skid Row that is now used to house an Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder Company ambulance. NPD later moved to 294 E. Main Street, now Margaret’s Antique Mall, and then to the current station on South Main Street.
Today, the department has 71 sworn officers and 25 civilian employees.
Chief Allen P. Reed was the sole police officer in Newark for a period in 1911 and 1912.