OUT OF THE PAST
Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
July – September 1939: Pride of Delaware, a B.P.O.E. lodge, asked for the opening of a new street on its property to be known as Church Street and asked for utility services. The request went to the town engineer for study.
Council granted permission to place road signs directing traffic to the New Castle-Pennsville Ferry. Lovett Avenue residents wanted street shoulders paved, as traffic had increased greatly. Haines Street house numbers were not in sequence and needed re-numbering.
The chamber of commerce wanted a new street opened parallel to Main Street and “to be located in rear of north side of Main Street, entrance to be from Center Street.” This never happened, as council was reluctant to build more streets requiring maintenance. Decades prior, a petition was presented to council asking to have New Street opened all the way to North College Avenue, but it was tabled.
The state sanitary engineer urged that private and town water supplies be totally separate to prevent any contamination flowing into town system. The Newark Inn had interconnected service and was told to remedy the situation or town water would be shut off.
Reports of reckless driving were made, and Chief Cunningham complained that Magistrate Eubanks was not cooperating in his efforts to curb the offense.
A notice was to go into local newspapers giving schedule of rubbish collection in various areas. July 19-20 were monthly Clean-up Days.
Chief Cunningham asked for “No Parking” signs for a short distance on New London Avenue west of B&O tracks.