Getting ready for Nov. 6
The editors of the Montgomery Media newspapers are committed to providing fairI thorough and accurate coverage of election contests and to making available space for the exchange of opinions. We strive to follow the guidelines published below in an attempt to encourage public statements by candidates and to promote fairness. PrRPOSb • 7KH SuUSRsH RI WKHsH JuLdHOLnHs IRU FDPSDLJn UHporting is to ensure fairI accurate and thorough accounts of all election campaigns in our coverage area.
• :H DOsR LnWHnd WR EH DFWLvH Ln FDPSDLJn UHSRUWLnJ sR that readers know more about the candidates and issues than merely what the candidates want them to know. NbWS • :H LnvLWH HDFK FDndLdDWH WR suEPLW D ELRJUDSKy, platform and subsequent campaign releases from candidates as a source of information for use in staff-written reports.
• GHnHUDOOy, wH wLOO JLvH PRUH DWWHnWLRn WR FRnWHsWHd races. We will attempt to interview all candidates in FRnWHsWHd HOHFWLRns Ln WKH GHnHUDO AssHPEOy IRU WKH Nov. S election. PHOTOS • 5HTuHsWs IRU FDPSDLJn SuEOLFLWy SKRWRs Dnd SKRWRs submitted by candidates will be judged for newsworthiness.
• 3KRWRs RI LnFuPEHnWs Ln WKH FRuUsH RI WKHLU duWLHs will be considered campaign photographs if they invROvH SURPRWLRn RI WKH RIfiFH-KROdHU. LbTTbRS TO THb bDITOR • :H wLOO DSSOy nRUPDO SROLFy WR OHWWHUs DERuW FDndLdates and issues: We will publish them if they can be FRnfiUPHd Dnd dR nRW vLRODWH OHJDO Dnd WDsWH FRnsLdHUations.
• ,n WKH ODsW LssuH EHIRUH Dn HOHFWLRn, wH wLOO nRW SuElish an accusation against an individual in a letter to the editor.
• :H UHsHUvH WKH ULJKW WR sHOHFW UHSUHsHnWDWLvH vLHwpoints if we receive a large number of letters on one subject.
• :H sWURnJOy dLsFRuUDJH FDndLdDWHs Dnd WKHLU suSporters from organizing letter-writing campaignsI especially where one person prepares more than one letter for different signatures. 5E35,17,1G • CDndLdDWHs DUH UHPLndHd WKDW nR PDWHULDO IURP WKH newspaper may be reprinted without permission.