• Knit One, Purl Two Club — Bring your yarn and pattern and come join the knitters by the fireplace each Tuesday beginning at 10 a.m.
• Mahjong Group — Join the gang each Tuesday afternoon beginning at 12:30 p.m. in the main library.
• Blood Pressure Screening: Fourth Tuesday afternoon of each month from 1 to 2 p.m. No appointment or fee. The North Penn Visiting Nurse Association will offer free blood pressure screenings.
• Wii Bowling for Adults: Second and fourth Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m.
• Mexican Train Dominoes — Players of all abilities are welcome to play every Thursday 1 to 4 p.m. SPECIAL EVENTS: • Downton Abbey: Feb. 4 through March 25. Want to see what all the chatter is about? Come to the library community rooms each Monday for about an hour per session of season one episodes. Sign up and choose your time to view: 2 or 5 p.m.
• Celebrate the Irish: March 18 at 7 p.m. Local musician Doug Buehler will explain the history of and how the bagpipes work, then will play music. Try the bagpipes yourself! Cost: FREE!
• Get a new eReader or Smartphone? Library eBooks and audiobooks for these devices are available for free through the library! Books are compatible with all Nooks, Kindles, tablets, iPods, iPhones and androids. Ask at the circulation desk for an instruction sheet for your specific device, all you need is a current library card! Having trouble getting started? Stop by the library any Monday after 5 p.m. for one-on-one help.
• Honor the victims of Sandy Hook Elementary School: Help the library remember those that lost their lives by purchasing a firstgrade level book to add to the library shelves. Inside each book will be a special message with the image of an angel, the name of a victim, and, if requested, the name of the family who is donating the book in their memory. A donation of $15 will purchase the book and personalized bookplate. FUNDRAISING: • Adopt-A-Brick: For $100, an engraved brick will be installed at the Veterans Memorial Flag Pole. Order forms available at the library.
• Byers Choice: StoryTeller is available for sale at the library. $70/each plus $10 if shipping is needed.
• Donate your car to the North Wales Area Library: The library will benefit from the proceeds of the sale or salvage of your vehicle and your donation is tax deductable. Contact Point Service Center and tell them you want to donate your vehicle to the NWAL. Arrangements will be made to tow your vehicle, if necessary, at no cost to you. Call Point Service Center at 215-699-TIRE (8473) or email email@example.com.
• Entertainment Books: Get your discount coupon book and support the library. Cost: $30.
Drama & Dance
Perky Promenaders Square Dance Club, Christ United Methodist Church, 1020 S. Valley Forge Road, Lansdale, offers dance classes and lessons. Information: 215-542-8374 or www. perkyprom.org.
• Free Square Dance For Beginners: Jan. 21 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Singles welcome, or bring a partner, family or friends. Casual dress; no experience needed.
• A beginners square dance class will be held weekly from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Christ United Methodist Church, 1020 S. Valley Forge Road, Lansdale. The cost is $2.50 per person per session. Informa- tion: 610-275-7614 or 215368-7359.
• Weekly round dance lessons will be held from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The cost is $5 per couple per session.
The Laymen Playmen, Inc., will perform the musical comedy “The Pajama Game” for their 26th production. Performances will occur Feb. 7,8,9, 14, 15 and 16 at 8 p.m., and Feb. 9, 10, 16 and 17 at 2 p.m. The show is an upbeat, fast-paced musical based on the novel “7 1/2 Cents” by Richard Bissell. Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for students and seniors 65+ and $5 for children under 5. All performances will be held in the Stringer Auditorium at Lansdale United Methodist Church, 300 N. Broad St., Lansdale. Call 215-368-9484 for tickets. The Laymen Playmen, Inc. is a Christian Community Theatre Group committed to serving the Lord and the needs of our community.
Dance classes at the PEAK Center, 1292 Allentown Rd., Towamencin: Ballroom dance classes: Learn the basics of the fox trot, cha cha, jitterbug and waltz. Beginners ballroom: Thursdays, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Intermediate ballroom: Thursdays, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Beginners line dancing: Thursdays, 12:30-1 p.m. Line dancing: Thursdays, 1 p.m. Tap dancing: Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Cost is $24 for six-week sessions. Call 215-362-7432 for information and registration. Instructor John Long has been teaching ballroom, tap and line dance at many venues including the PEAK Center for over 20 years.
Art & Music
St. Luke’s United Church of Christ, 125 N. Main St. (Sumneytown Pike), North Wales, will present Tuesday at Noon Organ Recitals. Experience the great pipe organ sound for free! Jan. 22: Andrew Long, music director, Trinity Lutheran Church, Perkasie; Jan. 29: Scott Myers, graduate of Curtis Institute & The Juilliard School. A reception follows each recital! Call 215-699-9342 or visit www. UCCnorthwales.org.
The Church of the Holy Spirit, Sumneytown Pike and Barndt Road, Harleysville, will hold the following events:
• Chili Cookoff and Variety Show: Jan. 19 at 5:30 p.m. The competition and dinner will be followed by desserts and a variety show by talented members of the church. All are welcome. The eent is free. For more information, contact the church at 215-234-8020.
• Mardi Gras Dinner Dance, Silent Auction and Basket Raffle: Feb. 9 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Generations of Indian Valley, 259 N. Second St., Souderton. Classic jazz will be provided by the Alan Segal Quartet. The menu includes a buffet dinner, beer, wine and other beverages, along with disserts. A silent auction will be held, as well as a separate Kidz Gras, offering children’s foods, crafts and activities. Tickets are $30 for adults, $25 for seniors, $20 for the first child and $10 for each additional child. For tickets, call 215-234-8020, ext. 6.
St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, 211 S. Main St., North Wales, has announced the following events and programs:
• The Thrift Shop at St. Peter’s is open for business. Store hours are Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The shop is located at St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, 211 S. Main St., North Wales. Donations of small household items, books, linens and women’s and children’s clothing are accepted during store hours. All proceeds are donated to local charities.