Art & Music
Mennonite Heritage Center, 565 Yoder Road, Harleysville, will be hosting the following events:
• A Traditional Oil Painting Workshop: Tuesdays, March 26 through April 30 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. The workshop, led by accomplished Bucks County artist Dot Bunn, will emphasize building a good composition and the control of values and color. The total workshop fee for the six weeks is $240 ($215 members). Pre registration is required. A list of supplies needed for the class will be furnished upon registration. To register for the workshop, go to www.mhep. org, email email@example.com or call 215-256-3020.
• “Introduction to Bobbin Lace” April 13 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The bobbin lace pillow, bobbins and thread will be supplied for the workshop so you can try your hand before deciding to invest in the supplies. Instructor Lily Douglas has learned over 11 different types of lace from teachers from both the USA and Europe. The workshop fee is $55 ($50 for members) plus a $5 material fee for the thread and pattern prickings. Participants will be able to finish a multi-color bookmark in the workshop. Class size is limited and pre-registration is required. To register, see the Mennonite Heritage Center website, at www.mhep.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-256-3020.
• The Rug Hooking Guild plans regional hookin and workshop for beginners April 20 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Workshop participants are requested to bring a 14-inch embroidery hoop and a sharp pair of scissors. Registration for the hook-in and the beginners’ workshop is required as participation is limited. The registration fee of $45 ($40 for members) includes a full lunch and coffee/snacks. There is a $25 materials fee for the beginners’ workshop. To register, visit www.mhep.org, email email@example.com or call 215256-3020.
• Daniel Strawser Wood Carving Show: April 6 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Traditional folk wood carver Daniel Strawser will demonstrate wood carving from 11 a.m. to 12 noon and again from 1 to 2 p.m. Admission is free for the event and no registration is needed. For more information, visit www.mhep.org, call 215256-3020 or email info@ mhep.org.
• The public is invited to a hymn sing April 7 at 4 p.m. The event will include songs from J.W. Yoder’s song books from 1913, 1926, and 1939. Texts and tunes will be provided. John Ruth will open the event by giving biographical information about Yoder. Song leaders include Hiram Hershey, Kendra Rittenhouse and Lee Moyer. No registration required and admission is by donation. For more information, call 215-256-3020, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.mhep.org.
Music for Holy Week: March 24 at 4 p.m, at St. John’s United Church of Christ, 500 W. Main St., Lansdale, Pa. The music of Back, Durufle, Randall Thompson and others wil be performed by St. John’s Choral Ensemble and Friends under the direction of David Furniss, who will also perform solo organ music by Back and Mendelssohn. While there is no admission charge there will be a free-will offering. For more information and directions to the church, visit the church’s web site at www. st-johns-ucc.org or call the church at 215-855-5489.
The Gospel Choir from the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany will perform at Advent Lutheran Church in Harleysville May 12 at 8:30 a.m. and St