Datebook Datebook Notes
The deadline for Datebook is noon Tuesday two weeks before the desired publication date. Only dated events local to this newspaper will be listed. Information should include event, date, time, applicable fees and an information telephone number that may be published. Send to North Penn Life Datebook, cLo Montgomery Newspapers, 290 Commerce Drive, Fort Washington, PA 19034; fax to 21R-643-947R; email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. Lansdale Kiwanis Club, will read stories and complete activities with the kids. This month’s theme is “Cats.”
• Balloon Magic: June 26 at 6:4R p.m. Josh Matisoff, a balloon artist and teacher, is coming back to the Lansdale Library for another balloon work-shop. Come learn to make balloon animals! Cost: $1R per person. Contact Kurt at Kurt’s Magic World for tickets, 21R-R28-9488.
• Math Mondays: Mondays at 4 p.m. Free tutoring in basic math for students.
• Dig in to ... Crafts: June 24 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Free Tutoring by Youth Lit: The American Youth Literacy Foundation is offering tutoring to children in grades 1 to R who need help with reading. Tutoring is provided by trained volunteers. Tutors will work with your child after school for 30 minutes per week, usually Friday afternoons between 4 and R:30. Other times may be available. Please sign up using the form available at the library. More information is available at www. youthlit.org.
• Dig Into Reading is the theme of Summer Reading 2013. The schedule begins July 3 with Animals Dig It. The rest of the schedule for July and August can be found on the library website.
• Tai chi 4 Kidz: August 19 to 22. Tai Chi can help children with relaxation, focus and overall wellness, along with developing conFHnWUDWLRn, FRnfiGHnFH DnG coordination. The cost is $20Lchild. 6 to 8 year olds beginning at 11:1R a.m., 9 to 11 year olds beginning at 1 p.m.
• Science in the Summer: July 11. Registration will begin May 1 for this GlaxoSmithKline sponsored Genetics program. Students who have completed grades 1 or 2 are Level 1 and students who have completed grades 3, 4 or R are Level 2. Four classes will be offered: Level 1, 10 to 10:4R a.m.; Level 2, 11:1R a.m. to 12 p.m; Level 1, 2 to 2:4R p.m. and Level 2, 3:1R to 4 p.m. Students must attend all four sessions.
• Baby’s First Book: A gift of literacy from the Library, sponsored by Friends of the North Wales Library. The Pennsylvania One Book Every Young Child 2013 selection, Stop Snoring, Bernard!, is presented to each baby born to a Library patron. This statewide effort encourages adults to share and talk about books and stories with children. Please stop by or call the Library with the name and birth date of any new baby in your household.
• Special Needs Story Hour: Children with special needs (all ages) and siblings are welcome. The stories and music will be geared toward ages 2-6, the environment will be sensory friendly. Upcoming Saturday date: July 13 from 10:30 to 11 a.m. The program will be held in the Library Community Room.
TEEN CLUB: Every Wednesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m: ADULT PROGRAMS: • Downton Abbey: Mondays at 2 p.m.
• Adults Discuss Books: One Tuesday evening each month, 7 to 9 p.m. at the library! Books are available for $10 each: June 18 “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald. July 30 “The Paris Wife” by Paul McLain (Note Date Change).
CLUBS WITH NO FEES:
• Bridge Group: Each Wednesday afternoon from 1 to 3 p.m. For experienced bridge players.
• Teen Club (ages 12 and up): Wednesdays from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Enjoy a good book, movie or game with friends. Check out our Facebook page by searching North Wales Teen Book Club and like us to receive updates and reminders.
• Knit One, Purl Two Club — Bring your yarn
and pattern and come join WKH NQLWWHUV Ey WKH fiUHSODFH each Tuesday beginning at 10 a.m.
• Mahjong Group — Join the gang each Tuesday afternoon beginning at 12:30 p.m. in the main library.
• Blood Pressure Screening: The NP Visiting Nurse Association will offer free blood pressure screenings June 20, July 18 and August 15 from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. No appointment or fee.
• Wii Bowling for Adults: Second and fourth Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m.
• Mexican Train Dominoes: Players of all abilities are welcome to play every Thursday 1 to 4 p.m.
• Tai Chi for Arthritis Classes: Sign up now for Level 2 classes. This is a safe, easy-to-learn exercise class that increases vitality, mental clarity and calms the spirit. No experience or special equipment needed. Wear comfortable clothing and VKRHV. 7DuJKW Ey D FHUWLfiHG instructor. Classes A5 per session. Call the Library for information. SPECIAL EVENTS: • Golf Outing: Sept. 27 at Limekiln Golf Club. Save the date; details coming soon.
• Beef n’ Beer: August 3 from 7 to 11 p.m. at the Upper Gwynedd Firehouse. All SURFHHGV EHQHfiW WKH )ULHQGV of the Library. Tickets A25 in advance, A35 at the door. Sign up by calling or stopping in the library.
• RSVP APPRISE: Fourth Tuesday of each month from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Medicare Counselors are trained by the State Health Insurance Assistance Program. All counseling is IUHH & FRQfiGHQWLDO. 0HHWings can be individual or in groups. Call 610-834-1040 Ext. 46 with questions or to schedule an appointment.
• Redner’s Save-A-Tape Program: Pick up a free customer card at Redner’s and join the Save-a-Tape Program. After your card is registered, drop your register receipts at the library circulation desk. We’ll take care of the rest. This program provides a cash rebate to the library based on sales. Your card must be presented at time of purchase for the Library to receive the cash rebate.
• Get a new eReader or Smartphone? Library eBooks and audiobooks for these devices are available for free through the library! Books are compatible with all Nooks, Kindles, tablets, iPods, iPhones and androids. Ask at the circulation desk for an instruction VKHHW IRU yRuU VSHFLfiF GHvice, all you need is a current library card! Having trouble getting started? Stop by the library any Monday after 5 p.m. for one-on-one help.
• Honor the victims of Sandy Hook Elementary School: Help the library remember those that lost their OLYHV Ey SuUFKDVLQJ D fiUVWgrade level book to add to the library shelves. Inside each book will be a special message with the image of an angel, the name of a victim, and, if requested, the name of the family who is donating the book in their memory. A donation of A15 will purchase the book and personalized bookplate. FUNDRAISING: • Adopt-A-Brick: For A100, an engraved brick will be installed at the Veterans Memorial Flag Pole. Order forms available at the library.
• Byers Choice: StoryTeller is available for sale at the library. A70/each plus A10 if shipping is needed.
• Donate your car to the North Wales Area Library: 7KH OLEUDUy wLOO EHQHfiW IURP the proceeds of the sale or salvage of your vehicle and your donation is tax deductable. Contact Point Service Center and tell them you want to donate your vehicle to the NWAL. Arrangements will be made to tow your vehicle, if necessary, at no cost to you. Call Point Service Center at 215-699-TIRE E8473F or email email@example.com.
• Entertainment Books: Get your discount coupon book and support the library. Cost: A30.
• NWAL Night at Rita’s on Broad Street, Lansdale, June 27 from 6 to 9 p.m. For each purchase using a library coupon, a donation will be made to the Library. Coupons available at the Library. Please spread the word. Every donation counts and helps. North Penn Arts Alliance at 215-393-9110.