Air­liner-down­ing trial will be Dutch

Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - - INTERNATIONAL -

PARIS — Any sus­pects in the 2014 down­ing of Malaysia Air­lines Flight 17 will be pros­e­cuted in the Nether­lands, the Dutch govern­ment an­nounced Wed­nes­day.

For­eign Min­is­ter Bert Koen­ders said in a state­ment that the de­ci­sion was made by the coun­tries jointly in­ves­ti­gat­ing the crash — Aus­tralia, Bel­gium, Malaysia, Ukraine and the Nether­lands.

The state­ment says the coun­tries will con­tinue to co­op­er­ate on the pros­e­cu­tion, which will cover all 298 vic­tims, who hailed from 17 coun­tries. Most were Dutch cit­i­zens.

The Boe­ing 777, fly­ing from Am­s­ter­dam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, was blown out of the sky on July 17, 2014, in east­ern Ukraine amid fierce fight­ing be­tween Rus­sia-backed sep­a­ratists and Ukrainian troops.

An in­ter­na­tional crim­i­nal probe con­cluded last year that the mis­sile that de­stroyed the pas­sen­ger jet was fired from re­bel­con­trolled ter­ri­tory by a mo­bile launcher trucked in from Rus­sia. Rus­sia has de­nied any in­volve­ment and de­nounced the con­clu­sions as po­lit­i­cally bi­ased.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.