Acquitted Minnesota officer off force
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota police officer who was acquitted in last year’s fatal shooting of black motorist Philando Castile has left the suburban police department where he served.
The Minneapolis suburb of St. Anthony announced Monday that Jeronimo Yanez is no longer with the Police Department. The terms of the separation agreement were not released, and neither the city nor Yanez’s attorney immediately responded to messages.
Castile, a 32-year-old elementary school cafeteria worker, was shot by Yanez during a traffic stop on July 6, 2016, after Castile told the officer that he was armed. Castile had a permit for his gun.
Yanez, who is Hispanic, was acquitted of manslaughter and other charges in June. On the day of the verdict, the city announced that the “public will be best served” if Yanez were no longer an officer. The city said it was offering Yanez a buyout and negotiations were ongoing. He was not returned to active duty.
Yanez’s acquittal led to days of protests, including one in St. Paul that shut down Interstate 94 for hours and ended with 18 arrests.