Kentavious Caldwell-Pope signs one-year, $18 million deal with LA Lakers.
BASKETBALL Caldwell-Pope with Lakers
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope reportedly has landed with the Los Angeles Lakers, five days after the Detroit Pistons pulled his qualifying offer and traded for Avery Bradley. ESPN.com’s Brian Windhorst was first to report the one-year, $18 million agreement late Tuesday night. The deal officially marks the end of Caldwell-Pope’s tenure in Detroit, which began in 2013 when the Pistons used the eighth pick of the NBA Draft on the 6-5 Georgia shooting guard. Caldwell-Pope, 24, became a restricted free agent in October when the Pistons and agents Rich Paul and Mark Termini failed to reach an agreement before the deadline. A person with firsthand knowledge of the situation told the Detroit Free Press that a four-year, $80 million offer was turned down by Caldwell-Pope.
Cavaliers sign Osman
The Cleveland Cavaliers showed a commitment to the future over the short term when they reached agreement with forward Cedi Osman, 22, on Wednesday. According to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, Osman will receive a three-year, $8.3 million contract, with approximately another $700,000 going toward his Euroleague buyout. The 31st overall pick in 2015 acquired by the Cavs from the Minnesota Timberwolves on draft night, Osman has played for Anadolu Efes Istanbul of the Euroleague for the past four seasons. Osman, 6-8, averaged 7.1 points and shot 48 percent from the field and 34 percent from three-point range in 35 games in 2016-2017. Osman spent time with the Cavs recently during the NBA summer league in Las Vegas, Cleveland. com’s Joe Vardon reported.
Johnson wins senior event
Trish Johnson completed a wire-to-wire victory Wednesday in the Senior LPGA Championship at French Lick, Ind., closing with a 1-over 73 to beat Michelle Redman by three strokes in the first-year event. Johnson finished at 4-under 212 on French Lick Resort’s Pete Dye
Course and earned $90,000. Johnson opened with rounds of 67 and 72 to take a three-stroke lead over Redman into the final round. Redman also shot 73. Hall of Famer Laura Davies (68) tied for third at 1 over with Helen Alfredsson (69) and Wendy Doolan (71).
Lochte returns today
Ryan Lochte is returning to USA Swimming competition this week for the first time since his 10-month suspension for his behavior at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics ended. The 32-year-old new father will compete at the L.A. Invitational, which begins today on the Southern California campus where he trains and now represents Trojan Swim Club. The six-time Olympic gold medalist is entered in the 50- and 100-meter freestyles and 200 individual medley. His times of 48.16 seconds in the 100 free and 1 minute, 54 seconds in the
IM are top-seeded. Lochte was ineligible to compete at the recent U.S. nationals, which kept him from qualifying for the world championships beginning July 23 in Hungary. His suspension ended June 30. Lochte was suspended last summer after he and three other swimmers vandalized a gas station during the Rio Games and then said they had been robbed at gunpoint.
Almirola back in action
Aric Almirola plans to return to action this weekend after missing two months of the NASCAR season with a fractured vertebra. Richard Petty Motorsports announced Wednesday that Almirola would be back in the No. 43 car this weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Almirola suffered an acute compression fracture to his T5 vertebra — just above the middle of his back — during a fiery multi-car wreck May 13 at Kansas Speedway. The final step of his comeback involved a test Tuesday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Almirola said in a statement that “when something gets taken away from you at a moment’s notice like that, it has certainly made me appreciate my passion for racing and my desire to compete at this level.”
Interest high in F1 sites
One day after Silverstone’s owners announced they will terminate their British Grand Prix contract, Formula One’s new leadership said Wednesday they had been inundated with interest from around 30 places looking to stage races. A break clause in the contract was activated, meaning that the last race at the central England circuit will be in 2019 unless a new, cheaper contract can be negotiated. For the moment, Liberty Media is focusing on working with Silverstone to make the most of corporate hospitality at the best-attended race on the calendar, which is being staged Sunday. Sean Bratches, F1’s managing director for commercial operations, would not say if future British Grand Prix races had to be at Silverstone, rather than elsewhere in Britain. A street race in London has regularly been discussed, and bringing F1 closer to the fans is a priority for Liberty.
Pacquiao still unhappy
Manny Pacquiao still disagrees with the unanimous decision that resulted in him losing the WBO world welterweight title to Jeff Horn, despite an independent re-scoring of the July 2 fight, and said he has no plans to retire. On Monday, the WBO said in a statement that three of the five independent judges who scrutinized the bout, dubbed the “Battle of Brisbane,” awarded it to Horn, one awarded it to Pacquiao and one scored it a draw. The review concluded that Horn won seven rounds to Pacquiao’s five. Pacquiao, 38, indicated Wednesday in a Twitter post that he won’t be hanging up his gloves, suggesting a rematch against Horn, 29, a former schoolteacher, could happen. Australian media have reported the rematch could be in November, also in Brisbane.