Questions to answer
Back to business as usual? The below questions are related to the shooting at the Power Ultra Lounge. It is hoped that our “leaders” will get the message. Little Rock remains deeply concerned about this tragic event allowed to happen in our city and deserves to be told all of the details.
Therefore, the citizens of Little Rock ask:
1. Why was this rapper not immediately jailed in Forrest City in late June after allegedly firing a rifle into a vehicle, wounding the driver? Why was he left free to appear here July 1?
2. We go back to 2012 when the Power Ultra Lounge received its first violation, which grew to 14. The public would like to have each of these violations published.
3. Why wasn’t this club closed long before now? Further, who in city government is responsible for such reviews? What role do our police play in these matters?
4. Does City Hall have a licensing department which issues licenses for such a formal entertainment as this event? If not, why not?
5. What is the official seating capacity for this club? Attendance for this tragedy has never been mentioned to my knowledge. Were guests screened for age? Were minors allowed in a club of this sort?
Plans have recently been revealed to organize a new committee to combat crime with both the city and state participating. This is considered a positive step. The public needs to know details. But the public first needs to be informed of important, unanswered details. It is imperative that the root causes and reasons for allowing this wild and dangerous event to occur in our city be thoroughly explored. Obviously, there are changes to be made in regards to the roles of both city government and the police.
The citizens of Little Rock deserve to be informed of steps taken. Our “leaders” should render no less than 100 percent cooperation in compliance. Little Rock citizens expect no less. JOHN W. NIVEN