Airspace available in crisis, Qatar told
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Four Arab states that cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar said Monday that they have opened up air routes that Qatari planes can use in case of emergency.
The United Arab Emirates’ Foreign Ministry said nine corridors were being opened in coordination with the International Civil Aviation Organization. The official Saudi Press Agency issued a similar statement.
Qatar denied that any new routes had been made available, however.
In a statement citing its Ministry of Transport and Communications and the Qatar Civil Aviation Authority, it said no navigation announcements have been released outlining the new corridors.
The ministry and Qatar Civil Aviation Authority alleged that the anti-Qatar bloc was trying to “leak incorrect news” ahead of a meeting of the international aviation council on Monday.
The International Civil Aviation Organization did not immediately respond to a request for comment.