Pro­fes­sor, Bri­ton sur­ren­der in slay­ing

Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - - NATIONAL - DAISY NGUYEN In­for­ma­tion for this ar­ti­cle was con­trib­uted by John Antczak of The As­so­ci­ated Press.

SAN FRAN­CISCO — A North­west­ern Univer­sity pro­fes­sor and a Univer­sity of Ox­ford fi­nance of­fi­cer were jailed in the San Fran­cisco area Sat­ur­day af­ter eight days as fugi­tives sought in the death of a hair­dresser in Chicago stabbed re­peat­edly un­til the knife broke, po­lice said.

The North­west­ern mi­cro­bi­ol­o­gist, Wyn­d­ham Lathem, had a per­sonal re­la­tion­ship with the vic­tim, although the na­ture of it wasn’t clear, and had made a video apol­o­giz­ing for what he called “the worst mis­take of my life,” po­lice said.

Lathem, 42, was be­ing held with­out bail in Alameda County, and faced a court ap­pear­ance in the town of Pleasan­ton. The other sus­pect, An­drew War­ren, a trea­sury as­sis­tant at one of Ox­ford’s res­i­den­tial col­leges in Eng­land, was be­ing held at the county jail in San Fran­cisco. Both men sur­ren­dered sep­a­rately and peace­fully in the Bay Area on Fri­day even­ing.

They had been fugi­tives since the body of 26-year-old Tren­ton James Cor­nell-Du­ran­leau was found in Lathem’s Chicago apart­ment on July 27.

Po­lice said Lathem had a re­la­tion­ship with Cor­nell-Du­ran­leau, who moved to Chicago from the Grand Rapids, Mich., area af­ter re­ceiv­ing his cos­me­tol­ogy li­cense. They have not elab­o­rated on how Cor­nell-Du­ran­leau or Lathem knew War­ren, or if War­ren knew them be­fore he ar­rived in the United States.

Chicago po­lice said War­ren was 56; he was booked into jail as age 49.

A deputy U.S. mar­shal said Lathem’s sur­ren­der came af­ter fast-paced ne­go­ti­a­tions through an at­tor­ney that led to the fugi­tive sur­ren­der­ing at the fed­eral court­house in Oak­land.

Su­per­vi­sory Deputy U.S. Mar­shal Frank Con­roy told The As­so­ci­ated Press that the tele­phone ne­go­ti­a­tions be­gan late Fri­day af­ter­noon and by even­ing, Lathem ar­rived by car at the court­house.

No guns were drawn, but Lathem was or­dered to care­fully step out of the ve­hi­cle and was taken into cus­tody in a court­yard area, Con­roy said.

Ac­cord­ing to Con­roy, Lathem stated that he would not an­swer ques­tions on the ad­vice of a lawyer, and no ques­tions were asked.

Po­lice said Lathem had sent a video to friends and rel­a­tives apol­o­giz­ing for his in­volve­ment in the crime, which he called the “big­gest mis­take of my life.” The video raised con­cern among in­ves­ti­ga­tors that Lathem might kill him­self.

“We are also thank­ful both men are safely in cus­tody and this did not end in fur­ther tragedy,” a po­lice state­ment said.

War­ren ar­rived in the United States three days be­fore Cor­nell-Du­ran­leau’s death. He and Lathem were seen in sur­veil­lance video leav­ing Lathem’s high-rise apart­ment build­ing the day of the stab­bing.

In a bizarre twist, po­lice said that on that same day, be­fore the body had been dis­cov­ered, Lathem and War­ren drove about 80 miles north­west to Lake Geneva, Wis., where one of them made a $1,000 cash do­na­tion to the pub­lic li­brary there in Cor­nell-Du­ran­leau’s name. Lake Geneva po­lice said the man mak­ing the do­na­tion did not give his name.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.