Fix­ing Sag­ging Floor Joists

Old House Journal - - Salvage It - By Ray Tschoepe

A pro­nounced slope in the floor is dis­con­cert­ing. Ei­ther the joist ends have rot­ted where they sit in pock­ets in a ma­sonry wall, or the load­ing of the joist(s) has caused it to de­velop a down­ward cur­va­ture called a crook. If the joist ends have rot­ted, sev­eral tech­niques may be used to re-se­cure the joists. When a joist has de­vel­oped a crook, how­ever, pro­duc­ing a bowl-shaped floor, the in­cli­na­tion is to jack it up. But, no mat­ter how slowly you go about it, jack­ing usu­ally pro­duces dis­ap­point­ing re­sults. Once the wood has de­formed over time, it’s hard to undo it. Also, the floor­ing it­self, and fas­ten­ers, have de­formed in ac­com­mo­da­tion to the bow­ing, and re­sist be­ing re­versed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.