Get your fill of muscle-building nutrients with this sweet, refreshing recipe.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this healthy recipe.
What you reach for between meals can mean the difference between fueling your active body on premium nutrition versus taking in a pile of empty calories. So grab a spoon and dig into this riff on a classic British dessert known as strawberry fool. Traditionally, fool is made by folding sweetened, stewed fruit into cream. Here, we’ve swapped out the calorie-laden cream for more physique-friendly velvety Greek yogurt and relied heavily on the natural sweetness that seasonal raw strawberries deliver. Of course, you also can enjoy this as a dessert that definitely plays by the nutritional rules.
Healthy Twist on … STRAWBERRY FOOL Makes 4 servings
• 3 cups hulled fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• pinch of salt
• 2 cups plain 2% Greek yogurt
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup chopped unsalted pistachios
1. Place strawberries in medium-size bowl. Sprinkle with sugar; let sit, tossing occasionally, until juices are released and sugar is dissolved, about 30 minutes. 2. Using potato masher or fork, gently mash strawberries with lemon zest and pinch of salt until you have a pulpy puree. 3. In large bowl or container, stir together yogurt, honey and vanilla. Gently fold in strawberry puree. Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour. Serve topped with pistachios.
Nutrition facts (per serving): calories 225, fat 10 g, sodium 3 mg, carbs 24 g, sugar 18 g, fiber 4 g, protein 14 g
For ready to go snacks, the fool can be divided among four containers. Sprinkle on the pistachios shortly before serving to maintain their crunch.