GARDEN CLUB TIMELINE
1928 — Garden
Club of Palm Beach established.
1929 — First flower show takes place.
1929 — The club commissions a master plan for the town.
1930 — At the club’s urging, the town establishes a sevenmember planning commission.
1930 — Town
Council accepts master plan for the town.
1931 — The Garden Club of Palm Beach is admitted to membership in the Garden Club of America.
1938 — The club creates the gardens at The Society of the Four Arts.
Post-WWII — Members rally the Town Council to enforce zoning regulations in Palm Beach, including height limitations on new buildings.
1953 — Four Arts Gardens adopted as club’s main project.
1953 — Club marks its 25th anniversary.
1967 — The Garden Club of Palm Beach Cookbook is published.
1973 — “Teaching Marsh” program at Pine Jog earns Founders Fund Award from the Garden Club of America.
1973 — At the club’s behest, Town Council passes Ordinance No. 2-73, the Historic and Specimen Tree Act.
1978 — Club marks its 50th anniversary.
1981 — Club receives the Zone VIII Conservation Award from the Garden Club of America for its continued vigilance and support of the
Pine Jog Environmental Education Center.
1999 — A coffee table book, “Gardens by the Sea,” is published.
1999 — Club wins the Historical Society of Palm Beach County’s 11th annual Judge James R. Knott Award.
2006 — Club receives the Zone VIII Conservation Award from the Garden Club of America for its efforts toward the restoration of the Everglades.
2011 — Living Wall unveiled on Worth Avenue.
2014 — 75th anniversary of the Four Arts Gardens.