Step 1: Walk Parallel To the Ditch
Choose a simple ditch with enough space around it for maneuvering. Approach the ditch from a distance at the walk, preparing to ride a line parallel to it but still several feet away.
1. Start with a quiet, comfortable walk with horse’s body parallel the ditch.
2. Turn horse’s head to the right 5–6 inches.
3. Make sure horse’s body is parallel to the ditch.
4. Turn right.
5. Make a large left turn and circle back to the ditch.
6. Walk back toward the ditch with horse’s body parallel to it.
7. Turn horse’s head to the right 5–6 inches.
8. Turn right, make a large left turn and circle back to the ditch.
9. Repeat several times, gradually moving the parallel line closer to the ditch until you’re within 2 or 3 feet of it.