Clydesdales Return to the Annual FM 1960 St. Patrick’s Parade
After an absence of several years, the Budweiser Clydesdales are returning to the Annual FM 1960 St. Patrick's Parade. This year's Grand Marshal is Scott McClelland, the President of HE-B's Houston Division and the local face of H-E-B TV commercials. It's difficult to put an exact number on how many people come to the Annual FM 1960 St. Patrick's Parade, but estimates of past parades have placed it at 90,000+ people along the threemile route. Parade Committee Chairman Jeff Doran grew up in Ponderosa Forest and grew up with the St. Patrick's Parade. Doran says, “I get a kick out of watching multiple generations watch the parade together and in seeing the tradition getting passed along to the next generation. Some people who went with their parents are now setting up in the same spot and watching the parade with their kids.” This year's parade is on Sunday, March 12 at 2:00 p.m. FM 1960 will be closed down starting at 1:00 p.m.
There's a Vendor Market at the mid-point of the parade in the Home Depot parking lot located at 4159 FM 1960 W. That's a good place to watch due to the easy access to food, drink, and porta-potties.
FM 1960 also known as Cypress Creek Parkway will be closed from Champion Forest to Kuykendahl from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
The parade features more than 100 entries including floats , Fire Trucks, and performing groups such as Irish dancers.
A distinguished panel of judges will score parade floats and other entries for originality, creativity, appearance, craftsmanship, spirit and crowd appeal with winners being chosen in three categories. Youth, Adult and Spirit. Awards for the best floats will be presented after the parade at 6:00 pm at MaK's Place Sports Bar and Grill at 5200 Louetta.
This is the parade's 39th consecutive year. In the beginning it raised money for Cypress Creek EMS, the nonprofit 9-1-1 responder that provides emergency medical services to an area of north Harris County with more than half a million people spread out over more than 177 Square miles. That's bigger in land mass and population than the city limits of Atlanta, Georgia.
In addition, Cypress Creek's Communications Center handles 9-1-1 and dispatch for 15 other emergency agencies including many volunteer fire departments. CCEMS is now partly funded by Emergency Services District #11 which was voted into existence in 2004. ESD#11 provides about 51% of the budget from tax dollars, while Cypress Creek self-funds the remaining 49% through ambulance service billing, fees from educational programs and fees for services provided by the communications center.
The net proceeds raised by the parade and other official parade events now go to fund Scholarships for deserving students who want to complete EMT or Paramedic training but cannot afford school expenses.
The scholarship covers the costs for accredited training at Cypress Creek's Charles R. Hooks Education Center. To qualify, students are required to write an essay and meet certain criteria.
In addition to the parade, other events help raise funds including several crawfish boil events, a Cajun Cook-Off, Comedy Night and an Annual Golf Tournament. Major Parade Sponsors include Bud Light, H-E-B, MaK's Place, Houston Methodist, and 104 KRBE.
For more information on the parade and other official parade events visit www.1960parade.com