Edwarda. Filmyer Jr., M.D.
Edward A. Filmyer Jr., M.a., of Glenside, died Sept. 18, 2012. Born on Feb. 14, 1918, he was the son of Edward A. Sr. and Anna M. (nee Eger) Filmyer. He had two brothers, Bernard G., a Jesuit priest, and William G., former president of Pioneer Salt C Chemical Co. He had one sister Laura Wittkofski, RI 9LUJLQLD BHDFK, 9D. 7KH family lived in Glenside, Pa.
Edward married outh Helen Stapleton in 1946.They bought the home on Lynnwood Avenue in 1947 and UDLsHG fiYH FKLOGUHQ, 5uWKAnn, Edward, John, Bernard and Michael. He lived there till his death in 2012. He was a lifelong resident of Glenside and a lifelong member of St. Luke the Evangelist ooman Catholic Church.
He attended St. Luke’s Elementary School, Glenside, Pa., St. Joseph’s Preparatory High School, Philadelphia, Pa., St. Joseph’s College, Philadelphia, Pa., and Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pa.
He was a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps DQG sHUYHG LQ WKH 3DFLfiF Theater. He was a medical RIfiFHU RQ WURRS WUDQsSRUWs bringing wounded soldiers and prisoners of war back to West Coast cities. He also served as a medical offiFHU RQ PHGLFDO WUDLQs WKDW crisscrossed the country delivering wounded soldiers to their hometown. He was discharged in 1946.
He started a pediatric medical practice in Glenside, Pa. after the war. He served the surrounding community for 43 years. (1947 to 1990). He was on the staff of Abington Memorial Hospital and Holy oedeemer Hospital. He built his practice and eventually joined with G. oussell oeiss, Ma in 1960. Filmyeroeiss served the area until 1990, when he retired. At that time, it was common for doctors to make house calls and he became known for his genuine concern for the sick children.
A funeral Mass was celebrated Saturday, Sept. 22, at St. Luke the Evangelist Church in Glenside.