Starry Autumn Nights
To make your stars stand out, use dark, warm colors for the background.
• 45 (5") A squares assorted dark
fall prints or tonals
• 50 (5") B squares assorted medium fall prints or tonals 5 (5") C squares dark teal tonal 3/8 yard light gold tonal
1/2 yard medium gold tonal
15/8 yards dark brown tonal Backing to size
Batting to size*
Basic sewing tools and supplies • • • • • • • •
*Soft & Bright quilt batting from The Warm Company used to make sample.
From light gold tonal:
• Cut 6 (11/2" by fabric width) G/H strips.
From medium gold tonal:
• Cut 2 (6" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 20 (31/2" x 6")
From dark brown tonal:
• Cut 11 (21/2" by fabric width)
• Cut 6 (21/4" by fabric width)
COMPLETING THE WONKY STAR UNITS
1. Layer two D rectangles with wrong sides together; cut diagonally from bottom right corner to the top left corner to make two each D and reverse D (DR) pieces as shown in Figure 1. Repeat to make a total of 20 each D and DR pieces. 2. To make one wonky star unit, select one each B square and D and DR triangle.
3. Layer D right sides together with B at an angle as shown in Figure 2. Fold D over to be sure it will cover the entire square corner of B after stitching. Fold back and stitch; press D to the right side.
4. Repeat step 3 with DR on the opposite lower corner of B as shown in Figure 3; press DR to the right side. 5. Trim excess D and DR edges even with B as shown in Figure 4. Note: The B-D unit should measure 5" square. 6. Trim the excess B from the wrong side 1/4" from seams as shown in Figure 5 to complete one wonky star unit.
7. Repeat steps 2–6 to complete a total of 20 wonky star units, varying the placement of the D and DR pieces referring to Figure 6 for examples.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for arrangement of A, B and C squares with the wonky star units in rows to create the star designs. 1. Arrange and join the A, B and C squares with the wonky star units in 10 rows of 10 squares/units each; press.
2. Join the rows, being careful to keep every row in the correct position to complete the pieced center; press.
3. Join the E/F/I/J strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each
21/2" x 451/2" E strips, 21/2" x 491/2" F strips, 21/2" x 511/2" I strips and
21/2" x 551/2" J strips.
4. Sew E strips to opposite sides and F strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center; press. 5. Join the G/H strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 11/2" x 491/2" G strips and 11/2" x 511/2" H strips.
6. Sew G strips to opposite sides and H strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center; press.
7. Sew I strips to opposite sides and J strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center to complete the quilt top; press.
8. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 110.
9. Quilt as desired.
10. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 110 to finish.