Sort your fabrics into coordinating color themes, select a background fabric and watch this easy quilt develop row by vertical row.
Here’s a fun vertical-row–construction quilt.
• 2/ 3 yard light green solid • 22/ 3 yards white solid • 31/2 yards total assorted pastel scraps • Backing to size • Batting to size* • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies
From light green solid:
• Cut 8 (2¼" by fabric width) binding strips.
From white solid: • Cut 9 (9½" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 4 (9½") B squares, 4 (3½" x 9½") C rectangles and 41 (6½" x 9½") D rectangles.
From assorted pastel scraps:
• Cut 210 (2" x 9½") A strips.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Select five assorted A strips to complete one Sweet Dreams block.
2. Arrange and join the A strips on the 91/2" sides to complete one block referring to the block drawing; press seams in one direction.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to complete a total of 42 Sweet Dreams blocks.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
1. Arrange and join one B square and one C rectangle with five D rectangles and six Sweet Dreams blocks to make an X row referring to the Assembly Diagram; press seams toward the blocks. Repeat to make a total of four X rows.
2. Arrange and join seven D rectangles with six Sweet Dreams blocks to make a Y row, again referring to the Assembly Diagram; press seams toward the blocks. Repeat to make a total of three Y rows.
3. Arrange and join the X rows with the Y rows, turning rows as necessary to form the pattern referring to the Assembly Diagram; press referring to Pressing Seams a Second Time.
4. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 126. 5. Quilt as desired. 6. Bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 126 to finish.