Flowers on a Fence Post
Turn an easy-to-make table runner into something very special with a touch of die-cut accents.
An easy-to-make table runner.
Prepare a template for the flower using pattern given. Cut as per instructions.
Note: The flowers in the sample were cut using a die- cutting machine and a flower die.
From each fat quarter:
• Cut 4 (2" x 20") A strips (16 total).
From yellow dot:
• Cut 3 (1" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 2 each 1" x 361/2" B strips and 1" x 131/2" C strips.
From dark pink tonal:
• Cut 3 (21/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 2 each 21/2" x 371/2" D strips and 21/2" x 171/2" E strips. • Cut 2 (3" by fabric width) flower strips. • Cut 4 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From fusible web: • Cut 2 (3" x 18") strips.
COMPLETING THE RAIL FENCE BLOCKS
1. Select and join one A strip of each fabric along the 20" edges to make an A strip set; press. Repeat to make a total of four A strip sets. 2. Subcut the A strip sets into 12 (61/2" x 61/2") Rail Fence blocks referring to Figure 1.
COMPLETING THE RUNNER
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for construction steps.
1. Arrange and join six Rail Fence blocks to make a row, alternating direction of the blocks; press. Repeat to make a second row.
2. Join the rows to complete the runner center; press.
3. Sew B strips to opposite long sides and C strips to the short ends of the runner center; press.
4. Sew D strips to opposite long sides and E strips to the short ends of the runner center; press.
PREPARING THE FLOWERS
1. Fuse the two 3" x 18" fusible web strips end to end on the wrong side of one 3" by fabric width dark pink tonal flower strip referring to manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Remove the paper from the fusible web. Fuse the wrong side of the remaining 3" by fabric width dark pink flower strip to the fused strip, being careful not to touch the fusible web with your iron. Note: This creates a doublelayer fabric strip.
3. Lay the prepared flower template on the strip and trace 12 flower shapes. Cut out shapes on traced lines. Note: Or use die-cutting machine and flower die to cut 12 flower shapes from double-layer fabric strip.
4. Arrange and pin two flower shapes on each vertically positioned Rail Fence block referring to the Assembly Diagram.
5. Machine-stitch a repeating circle in the center of each flower as shown in Figure 2 to complete the runner.
5. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. 6. Quilt as desired. 7. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94.