Black Cat Pillow
This pillow makes a quick and easy decoration for the season, and it’s fun too.
Add this to a chair or sofa for a fun look.
• Scrap each white tonal and
orange/black dots • 1/2 yard black solid • 121/2" x 161/2" rectangle batting • 2 (4" x 5") scraps cotton batting • 12" x 16" pillow form • Thread • 2( 3/4"- diameter) black buttons • 11/2 yards (11/2"-wide) orange-with
black dots grosgrain ribbon • Scraps fusible web • Template material • Light- colored fabric marker • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare a template for the ear piece using pattern given; cut as directed on the pattern. Prepare the inner ear, nose and eye pieces for fusible appliqué referring to patterns given and Raw-Edge Fusible Appliqué on page 30. From black solid: • Cut 1 (121/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 1 (121/2" x 161/2") pillow front and 2 (121/2" x 111/2") pillow back rectangles.
COMPLETING THE PILLOW
1. Center the eye pieces about 31/2" down from the top edge of the pillow front, leaving a 11/4" space between the circles as shown in Figure 1; fuse in place. 2. Center and fuse the nose about 1/2" down from the lower edge of eyes referring to Figure 2.
3. Transfer whisker lines on both sides of nose and the line under the nose to the cat face. 4. Baste the fused pillow front right side up to the batting rectangle. 5. Machine blanket-stitch around the edges of the fused shapes using matching threads. 6. Stitch on the whisker lines twice using white thread. Repeat for the line under the nose. 7. Center and fuse an inner ear piece to the right side of two ear pieces matching bottom edges as marked on pattern. 8. Machine blanket-stitch around the edges of the inner ear pieces using matching thread. 9. Place a plain ear piece right sides together with a fused ear piece and pin to a cotton batting scrap. Stitch all around, leaving open at the bottom. Trim batting close to the seam; clip curves. 10. Turn right side out; press edges flat. Topstitch around the outer edge to complete one ear unit referring to Figure 3.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 to complete a second ear unit.
12. Baste the ear units with inner ear side right sides together 11/2" in from the top corners of the pillow front as shown in Figure 4. 13. Sew the black buttons to the center of the white eyes. 14. Turn one 121/2" edge of one pillow back rectangle to the wrong side 1/4"; press. Turn under 1/4" again and stitch to hem. Repeat with the second pillow back rectangle. 15. Pin one pillow back rectangle, right sides together and matching raw edges, with the top edge of the pillow front with hemmed edge at bottom. Pin the second pillow back rectangle in the same manner at the bottom edge of the pillow front with hemmed edge
at the top, overlapping the previously positioned rectangle. Stitch all around as shown in Figure 5.
16. Turn the pillow cover right side out through the back opening, pulling the ears out. Press edges flat.
17. Insert the pillow form into the pillow cover through the back opening.
18. Wrap the ribbon around the pillow about 4" up from the bottom and tie the ends in a bow at the side referring to the Placement Diagram and sample project photo.
Black Cat Pillow Placement Diagram 12" x 16", excluding ears