If you have lots of fabrics sitting around waiting for the right project, this may be it.
A great stash buster.
• 2 (21/2" x 40") strips each from
20 assorted fabrics or 1 jelly roll* • 22/ 3 yards multicolored print* • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • 81/2" square ruler • Basic sewing tools and supplies
*True Colors Jelly Roll by Tula Pink for Free Spirit; Watercolor Triangles fabric collection from JoAnn Fabrics used to make sample.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Select four matching A strips, four matching D strips, five matching B squares and four C triangles to complete one Magic Kisses block.
2. Stitch the short side of two C triangles to opposite sides of A, matching the corner of C to the end of A to make an A-C unit as shown in Figure 1; press. Repeat to make a second A-C unit.
3. Sew B between two A pieces to make the center row as shown in Figure 2; press.
4. Sew the center row between the A-C units, matching seams as shown in Figure 3; press.
5. Trim the stitched unit to 81/2" square, centering B, to complete the center unit as shown in Figure 4.
6. Sew D to opposite sides of the center unit as shown in Figure 5; press.
7. Sew B to each end of the remaining two D pieces; press. Sew these B-D units to the remaining sides of the center unit to complete one Magic Kisses block as shown in Figure 6; press.
8. Repeat steps 1–7 to complete a total of 20 Magic Kisses blocks.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram as needed for completing the quilt. The quilt must be laid out before stitching to create the matching squares in the sashing.
1. Lay out the Magic Kisses blocks in five rows of four blocks each.
2. Place the F strips in the inside spaces between the blocks and the G strips between blocks at outer edges referring to Figure 7.
3. Arrange four matching B squares and one E square between the F and G strips as shown in Figure 8. Repeat at all block intersections. Note: Set aside unused B squares for another project.
4. Sew B squares to the ends of the F and G strips as arranged and place back in the setting; press.
5. Join the blocks in rows with the B-F and B-G units to make five pieced block rows; press.
6. Join the pieced B-F and B-G strips with E squares to make four sashing rows; press.
7. Join the pieced block rows with the sashing rows to complete the pieced center; press.
8. Join the H-I strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 2½" x 68½" H strips and 2½" x 58½" I strips.
9. Sew H strips to opposite long sides and I strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center to complete the quilt top; press.
10. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. 11. Quilt as desired. 12. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.