Appliquéing the diamond strip to the long, narrow runner background makes this an easy project.
Try appliquéing diamonds to a background.
• Assorted Christmas print scraps at least 8" x 14" in black, off-white, red, green and gold
• 2 yards black solid
• Backing to size
• Batting to size
• 2 (11/ 8"- diameter) off-white buttons
• 25 precut 31/2" 45- degree diamond shapes or light cardstock to cut shapes
• Water- erasable pen (optional)
• Digital photo source
• Template material
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare a template for the A shape using pattern given if not using precut diamond shapes. Cut A pieces as directed on the pattern and in Preparing the A Pieces. From Christmas print scraps: • Cut 21/4" x 101/4" binding strips to total 168"
when joined for binding. From black solid: • Cut 1 (121/2" x 66") B strip along length of
PREPARING THE A PIECES
1. To prepare an A piece, place one cardstock template or precut shape onto the wrong side of a Christmas print scrap. Pin or hold the template in place while you cut out fabric 1/4"–3/8" larger all around as shown in Figure 1. Repeat with all Christmas print scraps to cut a total of 25 A pieces as per pattern. Set aside two off-white A pieces for ends.
2. Referring to Figure 2, center a cardstock A on the wrong side of an A fabric piece. Beginning on one side, fold the fabric over the edge of the cardstock and finger-press in place. Thread a needle and make a knot at the end. Insert the needle into the folded edge and baste, stitching through fabric and paper.
3. When you reach the tip, fold over the next side of the fabric forming a little flag as shown in Figure 3.
4. Continue basting all around, making a flag at both narrow ends. Backstitch at the end and clip thread leaving a short tail as shown in Figure 4.
5. Repeat steps 2–4 to prepare 23 A pieces. 6. To prepare the two end off-white A pieces, follow steps 2–4 except fold the fabric down over one end tip and then fold the sides over and baste as shown in Figure 5.