The burst of Christmas stars across this quilt will set the mood for family gatherings.
Lots of colorful stars.
• 1/ 3 yard gold/gold dots* • 1/ 3 yard white/gold floral* • 1/2 yard green/gold dots* • 5/ 8 yard black print* • 5/ 8 yard cream/gold dots* • 1 yard black/gold dots* • 1 yard dark red floral* • 1 yard red/white large floral* • 2 yards white/gold swirl* • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies From black/gold dots: • Cut 6 (11/2" by fabric width) F/G strips. • Cut 7 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From dark red floral: • Cut 2 (61/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 10 (61/2") A squares. • Cut 4 (37/ 8" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 40 (37/ 8") B squares. From red/white large floral: • Cut 7 (41/2" by fabric width) H/I strips. From white/gold swirl: • Cut 12 (37/ 8" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 120 (37/ 8") C squares. • Cut 6 (2" by fabric width) D/E strips.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Mark a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each C square.
2. Referring to Figure 1, place a C square right sides together with a B square; stitch 1/4" from each side of the marked line. Cut apart on the marked line and press open to make two B-C units.
3. Repeat step 2 to make a total of 16 green/gold dots, 32 each gold/gold dots and black print, and 80 dark red floral B-C units as shown in Figure 2. Make 80 corner units using cream/gold dots B squares and C squares, again referring to Figure 2.
4. To complete one Star block, select one A square, eight B-C units to match A and four corner units. Note: The gold/gold dots B-C units are used with the white/gold floral A squares. 5. Join two B-C units to make a side unit as shown in Figure 3; press. Repeat to make four side units.
6. Sew a side unit to opposite sides of A to make the center row as shown in Figure 4; press.
7. Sew a corner unit to opposite ends of each of the remaining two side units to make the top and bottom rows as shown in Figure 5.
8. Sew the top and bottom rows to the center row to complete one Star block referring to Figure 6; press.
9. Repeat steps 4–8 to make a total of two green/gold dots, four each gold/ gold dots (with white/gold floral A) and black print, and 10 dark red floral Star blocks referring to Figure 7.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for arrangement of blocks in rows by color and for all construction steps.
1. Arrange and join four Star blocks to make a row; press. Repeat to make a total of five rows.
2. Arrange and join the rows to complete the pieced center; press.
3. Join the D/E strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 2" x 601/2" D strips and 2" x 511/2" E strips.
4. Sew D strips to opposite long sides and E strips to the top and bottom of the quilt center; press.
5. Join the F/G strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 11/2" x 631/2" F strips and 11/2" x 531/2" G strips.
6. Sew F strips to opposite long sides and G strips to the top and bottom of the quilt center; press.
7. Join the H/I strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 41/2" x 651/2" H strips and 41/2" x 611/2" I strips.
8. Sew H strips to opposite long sides and I strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center to complete the quilt top; press.
9. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. 10. Quilt as desired. 11. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.