* Vanilla Cake
1- ¾ cups all- purpose flour ¾ cup cake flour
1- ½ cups coconut sugar 1- ½ tsp baking soda ½ tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 1-⅓ cups non- dairy milk ⅔ cup canola oil
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar 1- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
5 oz espresso or very strong coffee 2 oz coffee liqueur
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 1 hour ½ cup non- dairy milk
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp almond extract
2- 15 oz. cans coconut milk, chilled
3 tbsp cacao powder, for dusting
For the cake: 1. Preheat oven to 350 º F. Line a 9x13” pan with parchment paper or lightly grease.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the non- dairy milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir together until combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter, as it won’t rise as well.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden. Allow to cool completely before cutting into it.
* This is best made a day or two ahead. This ensures that the cake is completely cool and it will absorb the espresso sauce better.
For the tiramisu:
1. To make the ladyfingers, slice the cake widthwise into 1” strips and cut each in half.
2. Prepare the espresso sauce by combining the espresso, coffee liqueur and water. Set aside.
For the cashew cream, drain the cashews of their soaking liquid and add to a blender along with the non- dairy milk, agave and almond extract. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
3. Open the cans of coconut milk and carefully remove just the hardened cream at the top. Place the coconut cream in a medium mixing bowl and beat until it becomes fluffy. Gently fold in the cashew cream. Refrigerate until needed. 4. Assemble the tiramisu: in a 9x9” baking dish, place a single layer of ladyfingers down in a tight row, covering the entire pan. Spoon or brush half of the espresso sauce evenly over the ladyfingers then gently spread half of the cashew cream on top. Lightly dust with cacao powder. Repeat with another layer of ladyfingers, the remaining espresso sauce, and the rest of the cashew cream. Finish it off with another dusting of cacao powder. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.