Getting a driver figure installed in a Lexan body that wasn’t designed for a driver figure was a little bit of a challenge. I ended up having to “go with the flow” while making it happen. This was a last-minute addition, and I had to scramble to find a driver figure. I had a Tamiya chest-and-arms figure in my parts stash and, with some simple modifications, was perfect for this project. Here’s how I put the driver together:
I finished the driver figure by gluing the helmet in place, and I attached a steering wheel (which was also stolen from an Axial parts tree). After fitting the driver, I found that the driver was still sitting too high in the cab, so I lowered him the required 3/4-inch distance to get it right. I used CA glue and stacked up lightweight basswood to get the driver sitting just right. I used Velcro to attach him to the body so that I can remove him when I’m not at a comp. The Velcro didn’t properly hold up the driver, so I added a piece of plastic to the back and used a screw from the cage to make him more secure. Semigloss black paint was used to hide the wood and extra plastic.
Left: I gave the piece of plastic under the driver a quick coat of semigloss enamel spray paint. I only applied enough paint to get full coverage and stopped. I used a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.
Left: I stole the helmet from an Axial kit and gave it a few light coats of the same Lexan paint that I used on the body because it dries quickly. Using a fine brush, I painted the goggles white, and I used a black marker to detail the center. The strap was done using red enamel paint and a fine brush.
Right: A bright white driver suit would look out of place in a scale crawler. These guys get dirty, so I busted out the black wash again and gave my guy a quick coat to dirty him up. I used black (because it was all I had), but brown would also work here.
Another way that I sped up the process was by using a black marker to detail the seatbelts and a silver Sharpie to highlight the buckles.
I painted the hands with Faskolor Lexan paint. This was another move designed to speed things up because Lexan paint dries faster than enamel. It doesn’t stick as well and can scratch easily when it’s not covered by a coat of clear. In this case, a worn hand will look a little better, so I’m OK with paint being scratched here.
I mounted the figure on a piece of 0.080-inch-thick styrene plastic, and I used CA glue because it is strong and dries fast. I also added pieces of plastic at the opposite end to get the driver to sit a little lower in the cab and look more realistic.