Church to present his­tory pro­gram

Record Observer - - Community -

CH­ESTER­TOWN — Em­manuel Church Ch­ester Par­ish is cel­e­brat­ing its ses­ter­centen­nial, mark­ing 250 years since the for­ma­tion of Ch­ester par­ish and the lay­ing of the cor­ner­stone for its present church build­ing, through­out 2016 and 2017. Ron Abler will speak about the church for a His­tory Happy Hour pro­gram at the Bord­ley His­tory Cen­ter in Ch­ester­town at 4 p.m. Fri­day, May 6.

From the be­gin­ning of the 18th cen­tury to the present, Em­manuel Church and Ch­ester­town have shared a com­mon his­tory. Soon after the found­ing of Ch­ester­town in 1706, a wooden chapel was built in town for Angli­can wor­ship. In 1720, after that wooden struc­ture burned down, a brick chapel was built to re­place it. In 1767, a third struc­ture was erected, two sto­ries tall, on a stone foun­da­tion reusing bricks from the ear­lier chapel.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.