Museum featuring archival photos
CENTREVILLE — The Queen Anne’s Museum of Eastern Shore Life is continuing to feature its collection of archival photos. The photo shown is two elephants and a camel being watered at a fire hydrant on Belvedere Avenue in Centreville c.1952.
A baseball ballpark was located at the south end of Belvedere Avenue adjacent to the cemetery. Several semipro baseball teams and majorleague farm teams played there.
A circus would come to town occasionally and set up at the ballpark. The circus animals needed to be watered, of course, and would periodically be walked up Belvedere Avenue to the fire hydrant wheretheir watering buckets would be filled and the animals could drink their water.
The museum is short of photos from the northern and eastern parts of Queen Anne’s County and is asking for people to help provide them. Wanted are photos of people, places and activities in the areas of Church Hill, Sudlersville, Barclay, Price, Ingleside, Ruthsburg and others in that area from the 1800s through the 1960s.
The photos provided would be scanned so copies could be made and the originals would be promptly returned to the providers. Please contact the museum at P. O. Box 525, Centreville, Md. 21617.
The museum will be open to visitors from 1 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, June 4. Admission is free of charge though donations are appreciated. It is located at the Queen Anne’s County 4-H Park on Route 18 at Dulin Clark Rd. between Centreville and Queenstown.
Two circus elephants and a camel are shown being watered at a fire hydrant on Belvedere Avenue in Centreville c.1952. A circus would occasionally come to town and set up at the baseball ballpark located at the south end of Belvedere Avenue, adjacent to the cemetery. The circus animals would frequently be walked up to the fire hydrant to provide them water.