Museum of Eastern Shore Life shows archival photos
CENTREVILLE — The Queen Anne’s Museum of Eastern Shore Life continues to feature its archival photo collection. The featured photo for July is that of the semi-pro baseball team in 1950, the Centreville Giants, that played at the old ballpark located at the foot of Belvedere Avenue, adjacent to the west side of the town’s cemetery at the south end of Liberty Street in Centreville.
Pictured in the center of the front row with his players is head coach John W. Selby, who subsequently became a legend in coaching baseball in Queen Anne’s County. John Selby is being duly honored.
First, he played in four semi-pro baseball leagues during the 1940s then moved to Queen Anne’s County when he began his teaching career. His contributions to the youth of the county were phenomenal. He helped establish little leagues in baseball and basketball. He served in numerous leadership roles in numerous athletic organizations across Delmar va. John Selby coached the varsity baseball teams at Centreville High School from 1948 through its final year in 1966, then moved on to coach the teams at the new Queen Anne’s County High School until his retirement in 1983.
Coach Selby’s teams at CHS enjoyed four undefeated seasons — 1948, 1960, 1961 and 1965. His career winning percentage as head coach of the high school varsity teams was an astounding .8348 — the highest in Maryland scholastic history.
Selby also ser ved as a major league baseball scout for both the Chicago White Sox and the Kansas City Athletics. He was inducted into four halls of fame for his achievements: Washington College Athletic Hall of Fame; Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame; Eastern Shore Baseball Hall of Fame; and Queen Anne’s County High School Athletic Hall of Fame.
John Selby also is well remembered in the county as “Farmer John” for providing fresh farm produce to the people of Queen Anne’s County for over 50 years.
He was a primary force in the creation of the Queen Anne’s County Department of Parks and Recreation and the Route 18 Park sports complex adjacent to the 4-H Park. That sports complex was officially named the John W. Selby Sports Complex in a dedication ceremony held in 2007.
An exhibit in the museum recognizing John Selby for his contributions to the youth of Queen Anne’s County is in the planning stages and, hopefully, will be completed by the end of the year.
The museum will be open to visitors from 1 until 4 p.m. on Saturday, July 2. Admission is free though donations are always appreciated. The museum is located at the 4-H Park on Rt. 18 at Dulin Clark Road between Centreville and Queenstown.