Kent teen charged with making threats
CENTREVILLE — A Kent County teen faces multiple charges after allegedly threatening students and staff at two local schools.
Queen Anne’s County High School and Sudlersville Middle School were both placed on modified lock down shortly before 9 a.m. Monday, Sept. 19, after school officials were notified of an implicated threat posted on the social media app Snapchat, according to the Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Office.
Within minutes of deputies arriving at the schools, the person posting the message was identified, police said.
“After investigation, the suspect was positively identified and is being interviewed by the police,” QACHS Principal Dr. Angela Holocker said in a message to parents about 10 a.m. “An assessment of the information that was posted on social media indicated that there was no danger to school students or staff. Both schools quickly resumed their normal schedules with minimal instructional disruption.”
A female relative drove Anthony Maurice Butler III, 18, of Chestertown to Centreville to turn himself in to detectives, according to Lt. Dale Patrick, sheriff’s office spokesman.
Butler was charged with two counts of arson threat, two counts of school disruption and two counts of false statement of a destructive device (bomb threat).
A Queen’s Anne’s County District Court Commissioner released Butler on his own recognizance. A preliminary hearing is set for Oct. 17 in District Court.
Holocker praised the student who brought the threat to the attention of school officials.
Last school year, Kent Island High School received two bomb threats and Queen Anne’s County High one; so far this year, they have each received one.
In this first day of school photo, freshmen arrive Monday, Aug. 29, at Queen Anne’s County High School. On Monday morning, Sept. 19, the school was locked down after a student reported a threat posted on Snapchat.