Chester home fire ruled accidental
CHESTER — The Kent Island and Grasonville volunteer fire departments responded to a house fire at 8:39 p.m. on Oct. 19, the Office of the State Fire Marshal said in a report.
The fire, located at a single story, wood frame, single family dwelling at 1716 Crab Alley Dr., Chester, was an accidental fire that caused $40,000 in damages to the structure, the report said.
The fire, which took 15 minutes to put out and was in the rear sun room of the home, was caused by spontaneous combustion of improperly disposed varnishing cloths, the fire marshal reported.
The smoke alarm was present but not activated, the report said. No one was injured.